cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can you help me locate my stolen computer?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Google suggests In can use dropbox to help locate a stolen computer, it says I can go to settings, security and that will show me the last time the computer logged on and the ip address. I cannot find this settings, security menu. BTW I'm not sure if it was stolen or 'borrowed' which is why I want to find out roughly where  it is.

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Can you help me locate my stolen computer?

Super User
Super User

Check here https://www.dropbox.com/account/security

Scrol down to Web browsers or Devices section. Hover over the info (i) on the right of each instances, it will show you IP address and location. 

Highlighted

Re: Can you help me locate my stolen computer?

Helpful | Level 5

When you have Dropbox installed on your computer, it automatically turns on at startup and runs in the background (unless you disabled that option). That means if your computer thief turns on your laptop, you might be able to snag his/her IP address.

Just log in to your Dropbox account online and click on your name to open up the drop-down menu options. Select Settings and click on the Security tab. There you can see the devices linked to your account. Find the stolen laptop (if it's still there) and hover your mouse over the blue info icon next to Most Recent Activity.

But now that you're equipped with the current IP address of that thieving ass, you do have a few more options in recovering your computer.

Track Down the IP Address

Once you have the IP address in hand, you're going to need to locate the IP signal ASAP. Thieves are like ninjas, they move very quickly and most likely won't be in one spot for too long. There are sites like GeoBytes or Live IP Map that can help give an approximate location using the IP address you obtained from Dropbox.

If you are good with maps, most of these sites give the longitude and latitude of the signal, making it a little more accurate. Keep in mind that a smart thief could spoof his or her IP address using a bunch of free hide my IP services.

I used my IP address at work with the GeoBytes site and got a pretty accurate location (about 2 miles off), as well as a bunch of other information.

Call in Backup

Armed with the useful information like the city where your laptop is and the longitude and latitude of the signal location, you are going to need some help.

Calling the police and giving them this information could make it much easier for them to find the thief. They in turn can call the internet service provider, but this would require a warrant, which would take some time. Unless the IP address the thief used is from his or her house, it would be useless within a few hours.

And remember, the police have much bigger things to deal with than locating a lost computer and can and most likely will blow you off. But if they do not, the information you provide can go a long way in helping them snag the punk that stole your computer.

Best of luck!

Jan Mahler

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?