cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling Auto Renewed Account

Cancelling Auto Renewed Account

Ganesh S.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Support Team/Users,

My dropbox pro has already auto renewed for 1 year. Is there a way i can cancel the subscription and get my refund back? Please advice. It is just one day since this happened.

23 Replies 23

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

As per messages already posted there are no refunds I'm afraid. You needed to have done that before the upgrade when you received the emails. 

Make sure you stop future ones at www.dropbox.com/plans

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @brianwinston416,  

Because this is a billing-specific issue, our team could only troubleshoot via a support ticket. I've located your request and I've made sure that your inquiry has received a reply there. At your convenience, could you check your inbox for our message and let me know if you have any issues locating the reply, so that I make sure that you receive it again? 

Thanks, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Angie3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It's my wife's account and she did not tell me of any warning messages. I realized that,the yearly auto billing for the plus level had been made when it appeared in our credit card and found that there is no way to cancel now with a refund.
We have it for another year that I don't need. You make the auto renew seemingly mandatory and you should, at least, give a grace period for a refund. It's a year. a long time! Why don't you do that and/or make auto renew optional. Really not a nice practice.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Or, going the other way, why dont consumers read emails and not ignore the repeated warnings of the impending auto renewal?

It isnt Dropbox's fault that the emails they've sent have been ignored.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Angie3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Mark wrote:
Or, going the other way, why dont consumers read emails and not ignore the repeated warnings of the impending auto renewal?

It isnt Dropbox's fault that the emails they've sent have been ignored.

That's true but humans are fallible. My wife ignored the mesages but she doesnt't take care of the payments in our family. As far as I can tell, there's no way to sign up for the paid version of dropbox wthout autorenew being set. Why isn't auto renew optional as in most situations. Or at least be able to turn it off without cancelling?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You are correct. You can only join as a subscription service (as it states when joining).

However. You can cancel the renewal as soon as you pay which means you keep your plan for however long you've paid for but it wont renew.

So I could upgrade today, pay for a year and instantly downgrade at www.dropbox.com/plans. I'd then keep the plan I have for the rest of the year (i.e. to 15th Oct 2018) and it wouldnt auto renew.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Angie3 wrote:

As far as I can tell, there's no way to sign up for the paid version of dropbox wthout autorenew being set.

No, there isn't, but you can cancel immediately after subscribing, which will prevent it from auto-renewing. Subscribe one day, cancel the next, and you have a non-renewing subscription for whatever term you selected.

Why isn't auto renew optional as in most situations.

Becuase you're signing up for a subscription based service; not a one-off purchase. Like any subscription, they auto-renew until you no longer wish to be subscribed. I've never seen a subscription based service or product that didn't auto-renew.

Angie3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Mark wrote:
You are correct. You can only join as a subscription service (as it states when joining).

However. You can cancel the renewal as soon as you pay which means you keep your plan for however long you've paid for but it wont renew.

So I could upgrade today, pay for a year and instantly downgrade at www.dropbox.com/plans. I'd then keep the plan I have for the rest of the year (i.e. to 15th Oct 2018) and it wouldnt auto renew.

Sure you are correct that this is possible but it's very unclear on your website that this is the way to cancel auto-renew. Most companies give a clearly marked choice to choose auto renew or cancel it. Cancelling the service is not the intuitive way to do this at all and dropbox knows it. I suspect that it leads to many unwanted  autorenewals and lots of cash for dropbox.

Rob_Cash
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the feedback on the auto-renew feature, and how we could improve it. Will pass the feedback on to a group gathering such info to identify confusing or otherwise painful points from the perspective of our customers. 

-Rob

Angie3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for listening and caring! Very appreciated.

@Rob_Cash wrote:

Thanks for the feedback on the auto-renew feature, and how we could improve it. Will pass the feedback on to a group gathering such info to identify confusing or otherwise painful points from the perspective of our customers. 

-Rob

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Rob_Cash Dropbox Staff
    FLConsumer New member | Level 2
    Angie3 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?