cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Cancelling my paid plan due to the new desktop app

Helpful | Level 5

I have been upgraded to an entirely new/diffrent version of the Dropbox windows client (without being asked or prompted). It has broken my workflow as clicking the tasktray icon no longer just opens the folder. It now also uses more system resources then I consider reasonable for a background applicaiation. Part of what I use drop-box for is to sync certain files onto to some sepcial-use low-power systems, and drop-box is now using more resrouces then any other background/system process on those systems.

I have been a paying customer for few years and have been very happy up to now, but unless there is a way to move back to the old client, I will be canceling my account as soon as I find a sutible replacement.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Canceling Due to New Client

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, thanks for the message!

Have you already opted out from using the new Dropbox desktop application by going into the Preferences window, and changing ‘Dropbox’ to ‘File Explorer’?

If so, and you’re still experiencing high CPU usage, could you try the steps in this article to see if they help?

Let me know how it goes!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you are experiencing a similar issue, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there, thanks for the message!

Have you already opted out from using the new Dropbox desktop application by going into the Preferences window, and changing ‘Dropbox’ to ‘File Explorer’?

If so, and you’re still experiencing high CPU usage, could you try the steps in this article to see if they help?

Let me know how it goes!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you are experiencing a similar issue, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

That preference setting does resolve my first issue. Thank you for the quick reply.

I haven't observed unexpectedly high CPU usage, but I have not been monitoring that closely. My issue is that the new client appears to have a base memory usage of around 330MB, the old client only used about 70MB-80MB. I use drop-box to sync files to some special-use control systems that only have 1GB of RAM, so that is a significant increase on those systems. Part of my reason for using drop-box was because of how relatively light-weight the old client was.

It's more than a little annoying to be forced into an "early access" update that adds things I don't want/need and causes problems with what I actually use/need from the product.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear that you're able to open the files in Explorer now.

Regarding the app itself, we'd recommend double-checking that the lightweight machines you're using meet the system requirements.

We'll forward your comments to our dev team for their awareness in relation to the RAM usage and the new desktop app.

Jay

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Whew!  I love Dropbox, but was ready to move to a new platform too.  This app is terrible!

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?