cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Cannot link Dropbox to account (Linux)

Explorer | Level 4

I have been using Dropbox on a laptop running Linux Mint 19 for a couple of years now.

Until a few days ago it was working. The, for some reason, the syncing stopped working with no error message but seemed stuck uploading.

I uninstalled and resinstalled Dropbox with latest .deb install available as an attempt to solve the problem.

Now, Dropbox is simply not connected to my account any more but I cannot find how to connect it. Logging-in to the web site using a web browser does not suffice and there is no button in the Preferences interface to that.

Screenshot from 2020-03-02 01-09-18.png

How the hell can I link Dropbox to my account ?

15 Replies 15
Highlighted

Re: Cannot link Dropbox to account (Linux)

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @HappyHugger,

Dropbox application tries link to account at launch time and that's not possible later. If for some reason linking fails, you have to restart the application. Make sure your default browser runs and you are logged in your Dropbox account already, before application restart. There are known bugs related to launching new authentication browser window sometimes. If you can't link the application to your account still, a clear console variant could be a workaround. In such a case execute following commands in a terminal:

dropbox stop
ssh $USER@localhost
dropbox start

"ssh" will ask for your local user password (not the Dropbox one). After the last command a web link will comes up in the terminal. Click on it will open an authentication browser window, where you can link your application. After successful link, you can use the application as usual further.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Ok.

I managed to connect : instead of using my home's wifi, I used the 4G connection of my mobile phone.

Same assessment for the initial problem that had led me to reinstall Dropbox : when I am connected using the 4G of my mobile phone, syncing works ; when I use the wifi, it stays stuck.

It is not a computer's firewall problem (I disabled it).

Highlighted

Seems you have a network problem (especially the WiFi). I can't say what exactly goes wrong, but you could check. Check if you have proper access to different domains in use (using 'ping', for example). Important domains are: www.dropbox.com api.dropboxapi.com content.dropboxapi.com notify.dropboxapi.com See if the domains could be resolved (i.e. your DNS works) and servers give response (i.e. the connection is possible). Make this check while you're using your WiFi. Once the application got linked yet (using 4G), is the issue persist when switch to WiFi?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello and thanks for youu suggestions.

I am still in the same situation : when connected by wifi, Dropbox gets stuck trying to connect. If I use 4G, connecting and updating works smoothy but when I switch back to wifi, it gets stuck again (updating).

While connected by wifi,  have pinged the four domains  you mentionned without any trouble.

Is there some kind of debug mode or logs to Dropbox ?

Highlighted

@HappyHugger wrote:

Is there some kind of debug mode or logs to Dropbox ?

Good question!!! Very good one!

The only user accessible log match the pattern "/tmp/dropbox-*". It contains only part of initial loadings log, unfortunately, nothing more - unusable in fact. There seems to be other log(s) in "~/.dropbox/logs", but in encrypted form, so inaccessible for user (probably only available for Dropbox staff). Many other queries for same (i.e. log availability) are set, but Dropbox keeps quiet. Such thing could helps in many troubleshooting steps, like in your case.

Let's hope someday Dropbox will add such possibility.  You shouldn't have to rely too much.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update, @HappyHugger!

It definitely sounds like there is a proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router issues that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains.

Since it’s working on 4G, there is no issue with the Dropbox app itself, but something related to your hardware network connection. Is there a firewall or blacklisting directly on the router?

If need be, you might need to check with the ISP for more help on this matter.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hello.

I am still stuck.

I tried connecting to the modem using an ethernet cable instead of wifi : same behaviour.

I had a look at the modem's admin interface to see if there was any firewall / filtering rule that could explain this : I did not find anything.

The problem is also that, in addition to not having logs, I don't know exactly what connections Dropbox use. To which domain / IP ? WHich ports ?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

The last thing I can suggest to check if it is related to your internet connection is, if possible, to use a different modem entirely.

If that doesn’t work, then your ISP is blocking connections to the Dropbox servers.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Blaming the ISP would be an easy solution but the truth is that I currently have no evidence to support this, due to the absence of logs or debug mode with Dropbox. Besides, it's the same ISP that provides me the 4G connection and Dropbox works fine with it !

I cannot believe that Dropbox has no way of debugging their software. Debug logs are software development 101.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?