cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot log out / change user because avatar disappears when I click on it

Highlighted

Cannot log out / change user because avatar disappears when I click on it

New member | Level 2

Hello,

I recently got invited to join Dropbox Family. I accepted this invitation with email1, but still kept my former Dropbox Plus account on a different email (email 2). I logged onto the Dropbox family with email 1 on my laptop. As this is a new account, all I can see are the Family and Photo folders and nothing else. I then tried to switch back into my email 2 account. So I clicked on my avatar in the right hand corner (which shows up as it has always done), but when I click on it, it just disappears. Nothing happens. When I refresh the page, the avatar re-appears, but I still cannot click on it. I restarted my computer - when I open dropbox.com, I am still logged on with email 1. So I am effectively unable to switch my accounts on my laptop and am now stuck with the family account. 

Has anybody else come across this? Grateful for thoughts.

Thank you!

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Cannot log out / change user because avatar disappears when I click on it

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@conifera wrote:
... when I open dropbox.com, I am still logged on with email 1. ...

Did you sign out of the current Dropbox account? You will stay signed in until sign out; computer restart doesn't matter! Once you have logged in with the desired account/email (in your web browser), you have to unlink your device (Preferences -> Account tab -> Unlink) and link it to desired account.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Thank you for your prompt response, but the problem is that I canNOT log out of my account through the web browser because every time I click onto the avatar (which is where I usually access "Preferences"), the avatar disappears, but no preferences box appears. So I cannot log out / unlink / switch or do anything of that sort???

Highlighted

@conifera wrote:

... I canNOT log out of my account through the web browser because every time I click onto the avatar (which is where I usually access "Preferences"), ...

😃🙂 @conifera, seems you mixing 'log out' and 'unlink'! That's are very different things!!! You can't log out through your application, as seems you have tried. Get in www.dropbox.com , click on your avatar and find "Sign out", not "Preferences"! Once you have logged in with the correct account in the web browser, then (after that) take a look on your application. There on the context menu you should find out where is "Preferences". I'm sure you can. 😉

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I'm sorry if I'm not clear. But the problem is that I cannot log out or unlink or do anything that you normally do by clicking on the avatar, because the avatar simply disappears when I click on it. I don't know how else to describe it - I click on the avatar (the way I've done hundreds of times), the avatar (and the little 'notifications' bell next to it) disappears, and I cannot select any options at all. When I refresh the page, the avatar is back. When I click on the avatar again, it disappears. And so on. So I am stuck.

Highlighted

Hm... You haven't mentioned what's your OS. Did you try with reinstall Dropbox application?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I'm using a Mac (Catalina), but I'm not sure I understand how that is linked to my browser not updating? (Sorry if I wasn't clear on that beforehand - it's a problem that occurs when I try to log on using the web version. Which I do for the family account, because I use the dropbox / sync version on my laptop with my primary private account. However, on occasions, I want to also use the private account online, which I am now unable to do, because it is stuck on my family account).

Interestingly, it seems this issue is only occurring on Firefox (which is my default browser).

So I can log on and off on, say, Safari. But unfortunately, every time I log on to dropbox on Firefox now, it seems my Dropbox account is eternally stuck in one email account (the family account), without letting me change to the other one (my primary account).

Highlighted

Aaahh... Sorry, I left with impression that the main target is application associated account change. Seems I was wrong.

Anyway... It's strange. I'm using Firefox, like you do. That what I have when click on my avatar is as follows:

изображение.png

Do you receive something similar, containing "Sign out", as could be seen on the picture? 🤔 Can you post what's up when you click on your avatar, so I can have a visual too?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?