cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change my email address without having access to email account used to create the dropbox account

Change my email address without having access to email account used to create the dropbox account

Thommas
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hej,

I have  a problem. The email account I used when creating my dropbox account isn't valid anymore. I do remember my password. When I try to log in (as described in the upport section), Dropbox says it sends a code to my invalid emailaddress. Is there a way around this? 

I can access my account on my phone. Can I change the email address on the phone?

Best regards

Thommas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello Thommas

I am afraid there is not much the Dropbox team can do however, I think there is a workaround.  If you still have access to the account via phone, perhaps do a test but I believe if you create another account with a current email address, then use your phone to transfer to the new account.  Once verified that all files are over to the new location, then just delete the account. You can do that via phone settings.

However, it may be worth sending a Support Ticket as I may be wrong about it or things have changed that I have missed.  Fill out this ticket.  IT will ask you questions, just be patient and it eventually gets to a page where you can input info.  This also helps the DB Team which tech would be most suited for your needs 

https://www.dropbox.com/support 

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Hello Thommas

I am afraid there is not much the Dropbox team can do however, I think there is a workaround.  If you still have access to the account via phone, perhaps do a test but I believe if you create another account with a current email address, then use your phone to transfer to the new account.  Once verified that all files are over to the new location, then just delete the account. You can do that via phone settings.

However, it may be worth sending a Support Ticket as I may be wrong about it or things have changed that I have missed.  Fill out this ticket.  IT will ask you questions, just be patient and it eventually gets to a page where you can input info.  This also helps the DB Team which tech would be most suited for your needs 

https://www.dropbox.com/support 

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Faten Ch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I want to change my email on Dropbox when I choose edit he said that we will send u an email to ur hotmail with all the instruction but I don’t have access to my hotmail
I want to send the instructions to my yahoo how can I do it

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Without access to the email address its almost certain you wont be able to change it. I'm afraid the work around is to set up a new account

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Not applicable
Go to solution

need to reset my password but my account has old disabled company email addr--what do i do? ...thx

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

The only thing you can do is to get the company to reset your account, or, set up a new account and move all data over to it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

SH16
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

in order to change new mail i can`t access the previous email and password

how can i change previous email? 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@SH16 wrote:

in order to change new mail i can`t access the previous email and password

how can i change previous email? 

Are you able to sign in to your Dropbox account using your old email and password? If not, it won't be possible to change the email address on your account.

AWAUS2023
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

hi there

I too have the same problem as others - I try to login to my account to change my email address to my new work email but i get notification that a code has been sent to my email. however, I have moved jobs and can  no longer access that email account.

And now reading through the community messages - it seems that if we can not access our old email addresses which was used to set up our accounts then we can not get back our accounts. Can you please confirm that this is the case? thank you  

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @AWAUS2023, thanks for posting here! 

Without access to the email address, I am afraid that there's not much you can do, since it wouldn't be possible to read this code, therefore access the account.

Is it not feasible to recreate the email address and attempt to login again?

Another thing you can perhaps try is to check whether you had previously installed the desktop app on one of your computers. If you had, then there’s a chance your local Dropbox folder is still located there, along with your files.

I hope this clarifies!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    HubbaHubba New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Rezzak Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?