cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of billing country? No possibility to email support center?

Highlighted

Change of billing country? No possibility to email support center?

New member | Level 2

Hi,

If anyone can help, that`d be amazing.

I moved to Germany and the account does not allow me to change my payment info - country not eligible. 

I have tried to contact support center, but never get anywhere with the fill in forms.

Is there an email I can email for answers?

My account expires in a couple weeks.

I`ve been with this for the last few hours. It`s stunning, that a company like dropbox, doesn`t seem to be prepared for international business. 

Thank you for any hints!

Daniela

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Change of billing country? No possibility to email support center?

Super User II
Hi dhoff.

Its a pain, but, what I suggest is cancel your subscription at www.dropbox.com/downgrade.

Let it expire - you wont lose any data.

As soon as it expires you can then RE upgrade at www.dropbox.com/plans and set your new country

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Super User II
That's correct. You cannot change the billing country of an active subscription. Once your subscription expires you'll be able to activate it again with different billing information.

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Super User II
Hi dhoff.

Its a pain, but, what I suggest is cancel your subscription at www.dropbox.com/downgrade.

Let it expire - you wont lose any data.

As soon as it expires you can then RE upgrade at www.dropbox.com/plans and set your new country

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Thanks so much for the quick response Mark!!

I have already downgraded the account to basic, while I was frustrated.

It still doesn`t allow me to change the billing info.

You are saying, I have to wait until it expires and then upgrade and it will allow me to do it then?

Ok. Annoying. Seriously.

But if that actually works. Great.

Thanks so much!

Daniela

Highlighted

Super User II
That's correct. You cannot change the billing country of an active subscription. Once your subscription expires you'll be able to activate it again with different billing information.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Thanks Rich!! 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

As Rich and Mark pointed out, this is an area that Dropbox is still working to streamline, and as you discovered, it is far from intuitive or ideal.  We are aware of this as a problem, and I've sent an email your way as a follow up on this topic.  Apologies for the frustration this issue has caused!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I'm having the same problem. I live in the U.S., but Dropbox just automatically renewed from a bank account in a country I used to live and work in. My foreign bank account has limited funds that I use only when I am visiting the country, so Dropbox just took a big chunk out of my funds for my next visit. I just tried to change my country to the United States billing to a credit card I currently use and fund from my current job, and it won't let me. This is seriously annoying and inconvenient, especially since an annual automatic renewal makes it difficult to allow the account to lapse (as people are advising here) and difficult to remember from year to year. I can't believe Dropbox does not support people who live and work internationally. A change of address should be the easiest thing a paying customer can do to their account.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I completely agree with cm2017 - why is it so difficult (impossible according to Dropbox) to make a simple billing country/address change during a subscription?????? The fact that a high-tech company like DB does not allow this is beyond me. This can cause some serious fund transfer issues when we move internationally. And tonight (the day BEFORE my expiry day), thje acoucnt autimatically renewed so I was nto able to let my acocunt lapse.

VERY FRUSTRATING and will consider looking at other cloud options!

Highlighted

Dropboxer

@charly77 wrote:

I completely agree with cm2017 - why is it so difficult (impossible according to Dropbox) to make a simple billing country/address change during a subscription?????? The fact that a high-tech company like DB does not allow this is beyond me. This can cause some serious fund transfer issues when we move internationally. And tonight (the day BEFORE my expiry day), thje acoucnt autimatically renewed so I was nto able to let my acocunt lapse.

VERY FRUSTRATING and will consider looking at other cloud options!

In simple terms, Payments from the Americas are processed through one specific entity, and payments from Europe/Asia/etc are processed from a seperate entity.  While switching entities isn't  impossible, there are specific financial issues that arise when transitioning from one entity to another, particularly for the bookkeeping at Dropbox.  We are working with the finance team to simplify and meet their criteria, with the hope of allowing this function to become a customer driven change that can be made easily.  

To say that the recent changes in US tax law is complicating things is an understatement as well... but to reiterate, we are actively working to resolve this pain point for our customers. As a QA Engineer in the payment area, I really do understand the hassle and issue.. I have multiple accounts for testing across the globe, and trying to move or change payment methods to another region is a huge pain :( 

(As a quick sampling, I have 33 accounts from various Europe/Asia/other regions, where I have varied payment types selected, such as iDeal, Credit Card, Direct Debit, etc) and on the occassion that I need to move an account out of those regions to another, it actually can involve an engineer making the changes via script work, on a case by case scenario... ) 

Again, apologies for the pain point, and we are definitely aware of this, and working to reduce this hassle. 

-Rob

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Amazing...the post I'm reading about is from about a year ago....and DB still has not solution???  I've just moved back to US after living in foreign country as an Expat, where I originally signed up for DB Plus annual subscription using a credit card issued in that foreign country.  Now that I'm back living in US and have cancelled said foreign country credit cards....amazing I cannot upgrade my billing info / country info.  

Wow, and this is a company that is set to IPO????  Most screwed up business model....'encourage' customers to stop giving a company business and revenue. Wonder if the Wall Street geniuses know this before such an IPO.  

Figure something out already!!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?