cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged for a Professional subscription

Charged for a Professional subscription

Leslie15
New member | Level 2

I received a credit card charge for a Professional account.  I did have Dropbox for free quite a while back which I used a couple of times but I have no idea how I got a Professional account.  I have tried numerous places to try and get help to resolve this but cannot figure out how to actually talk with anyone.  Yes, I have tried submitting a form too but the reply is just More links that don't ultimately help.  Please let me know if you can help me get rid of this Professional subscription, which I will Never use, and get refunded for the charge.  My credit card company said to contact Dropbox.

13 Replies 13

Re: Charged for a Professional subscription

Eigerj
Explorer | Level 3

The same thing happened to me. There is, to the best of my research, nothing you can do except dispute the charge with your bank. I was charged for a pro subscription even though I had only the basic account and hadn't used it since 2010. There is no customer service and no live chat. It's just plain fraud.

jnewt
New member | Level 2

Have you gone to the support page and tried live chat?

https://www.dropbox.com/support

Dropbox staff members also monitor and respond here in the community.

Leslie15
New member | Level 2

I did try the support page. It wasn't a "live" chat, it was a robot chat, unfortunately, which kept referring me in a loop to the same things I had tried.  I'm not sure exactly how I upgraded to a Professional version from a free version (which I barely used anyway). It wasn't a trial because it's been on my laptop for a few years now.

Eigerj
Explorer | Level 3

There is no live chat. Just a bit that doesn't answer my concern about fraudulent charging.

Eigerj
Explorer | Level 3

Same thing. I ended up having to contest the charge and get a new debit card. A huge hassle! And any firm that has no email address, no live chat, and no phone number is horrible firm. And charging people's cards like this is fraud.

Leslie15
New member | Level 2

Also, now that I figured out how to sign into my account (that I didn't know I had; I "reset" the password), it says that I still have the Basic account and Not the Professional account-- maybe there is another account ??? I can't tell and still can't find a phone number to actually talk to someone.

Eigerj
Explorer | Level 3

Same thing here! I was charged for a pro account, but i only have basic. When I reached out to my bank that they told me it was set for auto renewals so I would keep being charged if I didn't put a stop to it. This is crazy and a horrible customer service experience. 

Eigerj
Explorer | Level 3

I got the attention of a "drop boxer" but no help. All they did was move my complaint and tell me read through the forum who had time for this for a $19.99 charge. My guess is they are desperate for money and have resorted to larceny.

Rich
Super User II

You'll need to contact Dropbox Suport directly. Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account, including these forums, and you'll see an option for Billing issues. It's best to use an Incognito or Private browsing session to make sure you're not signed in.

Dropbox cannot charge you if they don't have your billing information. If you've been charged and didn't give them your billing information, then someone else has and you should be contacting your bank as well.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?