cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about accounts and sharing different client files

Highlighted

Confused about accounts and sharing different client files

Explorer | Level 4

Yesterday, I met with a new client and she invited me to join her company account on Dropbox Business, so I signed up for an account. On my Dropbox homepage, it has me and her as the two team members, and it has her business name at the top.

Then today, a different client shared a folder with me. I had to add it to my member folder to access it. By doing that, does my other client now have access to this folder? Under "members" next to the folder it just has his name and my name. But I'm really concerned that I've just shared one client's files with my other client, which is a big problem in terms of confidentiality.

Is there a way to change my account so that it has my name at the top and I'm the only member? Should I delete the folder the client just shared with me and create a separate account? Should he share it a different way? I'm really confused about how to resolve this. Any direction would be appreciated. Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Confused about accounts and sharing different client files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

To continue using your account after leaving a team, you'd need to get the team admin to convert your account back to a personal account away from the team.

This way your files will remain private, so only shared folders would be visible to whoever you share it to.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @mlayer, thanks for posting on the Community!

If you're a member of a Dropbox Business team, then depending on the plan itself, the team admin might be able to sign in as your account and view any files you have there, including shared folders.

If this isn't what you want, then you can permanently remove access to the shared folder and have the second client share the folder as a link, so you can access it without an account. However, you won't be able to edit or add files, only download them from the site.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks @Jay. That could work, however ideally I would like to have my own account, with different shared folders for each client.

I think my first client made a mistake by adding me as a team member and instead should have just created a folder and shared that with me. So what I'd like to do is have her remove me as a team member. My question with that is, if she removes me as a team member, will I still be able to access my DropBox account with the email and password I signed up with?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

To continue using your account after leaving a team, you'd need to get the team admin to convert your account back to a personal account away from the team.

This way your files will remain private, so only shared folders would be visible to whoever you share it to.

Jay

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?