cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Created account with non-existent email

Highlighted

Created account with non-existent email

New member | Level 2

Hey there, 

A little while ago I created a new dropbox account but did so with a typo in my email. Now, I forgot my password and cannot retrieve it as the email to renew it is sent to an address that does not exist. 

That also means I cannot delete this account as I don't have the password, and because for some reason I can't log out of the desktop app, it keeps conflicting with the new account I created. The fake account acts as a priority over it. 

It is quite tedious, may I get some help regarding this issue? 

Cheers!

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Created account with non-existent email

Dropboxer

Hi @Eve21, I hope you're well today!

Since you have the account connected via the desktop app, do you currently have all your Dropbox files locally on your computer?

If so, the best option here would just be to transfer all you files over to your new account with the correct email. To do so, you can move the files out of the Dropbox folder on your computer.

Then, to unlink your desktop app from your account, please follow the steps below:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the Account tab, and choose to "Unlink".

You can then connect the new account to the desktop app by signing in. Once the app is set up with the new account, you can move the files back into the Dropbox folder.

Since you don't have access to the email currently linked with the Dropbox account, or remember the password, there's not much that we can do with that account unfortunately. However, after 12 months of inactivity the account will be closed automatically.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?