Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Creating an account hangs

Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to set up a (free) DropBox account for a small non-profit organization.  I've entered a sort of generic first an last names, the real email address, entered a password, and clicked I agree to the "Dropbox Terms".  But when I click "Create an account" not much happens.  The Create an account" field greys out.  (Actually, it turns light blue.)

I assume I should get getting some kind of validation email, but I see nothing.

Now, I don't have direct access to the email address I've enetered.  Emails sent to it are forwared to me.  Actually, emails sent to that address are forwarded to the "on duty" member of our group, but that is currently me.  Is this getting in the way of account creation?

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: Creating an account hangs

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @pokeefe0001  - sorry to hear that!

In this case, I'd suggest trying again through another browser while also making sure to check the spam folder to see if no-reply@dropbox.com is blocked. You can also add no-reply@dropbox.com to the address book and request another email verification email.

When you request to verify your email address, you will receive an email from no-reply@dropbox.com with the steps to verify your account.

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hmm.  A previous response of mine went into the bit bucket.  I'll try again.

Nothing was sent to my spam folder and the person that (sometimes) monitors the email address in question reported no messages from DropBox.  (I don't know it he checked that spam folder.)

I've done a bunch of testing which I'll attempt to describe, but first I need to describe my email configuration. 

email_1 - my personal email account on Zoho.com
email_2 - a "business" email account on Outlook.com
email_3 - a personal email account on Zoho.com

email_2 forwards to email_3.

I have a personal Dropbox (call it db_1) account associated with email_1.
I am trying to set up a new Dropbox account (db_2) associated with email_2.
Fot test purposes, I've also tried setting a db_3 assocaited with email_3 (since I have direct access to email_3 but not email_2).

First I tried accessing db_1 using both FireFox and Chrome on two PCs.  Several attempts hung.  I later saw I had emails on email_1 from Dropbox asking if that was really me.  That's a good security measure, I guess, but it's a real pain since I didn't have my email client up on one of the PCs.

I tried creating db_2 using all 4 browsers with no success - the process hung where I would have expected to get the verification email ... but no email.

I tried creating db_3 on at least 3 of the browsers with no luck and no email from dropbox on email_3.  But I did get a red message when using Chrome on one of the PCs stating I had exceeded the number of attempts allowed and had to wait.

Now I have popups blocked on Firefox butusually I be an indication that a popup was blocked.  I did not see that happen so I doubt that was the problem.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @pokeefe0001  - much appreciated.

At this point, all I can suggest is have the original owners of the email addresses at hand contact us through our Official Channels so we can have a further look into this with all of our tools available. 

If there's anything else I can assist with in the meantime from my end, do let me know.

PS: You can ask your email service providers for further information regarding this matter as well should you need to.

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Another response of mine disappeared.  I seem to be having trouble with the forum.

In the missing response I stated that I was, after several failed attempts, able to create two accounts using Chrome.  I was unable to create then using FireFox, but was able to occassionally access them with FireFox.  Part of the problems may have been timing.  There was no indication that account creation was happening (in either Chrome or FireFox) except that the Create page would suddenly get replaced by a sign-in page.  It looked like a failure, but the creation apparently (sometimes) happened.  I would get a verification emails when creating the account or accessing it with a new browser but that email would sometimes take many minutes to appear. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for letting me know about this @pokeefe0001  - I guess there was an issue with your browser(s) acting up for some reason. 

In any case, I'm glad you managed to resolve your concern in the end and I'm here for you should you have any other questions. 

If I'm misunderstanding anything, do let me know please.

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?