cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete account without back up code

Delete account without back up code

CTRB
Explorer | Level 3

Hello, I am contacting you from a business without a business account. One of our staff members has left and we do not know the password, two step authentication or back up codes ot access the account. The email address is a company email address. Please can you advide how we can gain access to this account or delete as we own the email address. Thanks

11 Replies 11

Re: Delete account without back up code

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @CTRB, thanks for reaching out to us. 

Do you have access to the email address itself?

Also, are you aware if the user set up two step verification at all?

Let me know and we'll take it from there, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

CTRB
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Lusil,

Yes we have access to the email address itself and the user has set up 2 step authentication. 

Thanks

Colleen

Lusil
Dropboxer

Is it possible at all that you still have the desktop app installed and the account signed in? 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

CTRB
Explorer | Level 3

No, please can you cancel the account, turn off the two step authentication. It is a company email address and the person has left the company. Thanks

Walter
Dropboxer

In that case, I'm afraid there's nothing we can do from our end to help with this, Colleen. 

I wish I had a better answer than this. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

CTRB
Explorer | Level 3

You must be able to cancel the account or turn off the two factor authentication. Is there anyone else that you can refer to me to help with this? The account is linked to our company email.

CTRB
Explorer | Level 3

I reeived a notification that I had another reply to my most previous message but there isnt anything showing, please can you help with my latest query? There must be something that can be don to cancel the account which is linked to our company email address. Thanks

Rich
Super User II

@CTRB wrote:

There must be something that can be don to cancel the account which is linked to our company email address.

There really isn't. Two-step authentication was enabled on the account to prevent access without verification, and now you're trying to do just that. It would defeat the purpose of the system if all it took was a request to bypass it.

If your company is still being charged for the account then you may be able to get them to cancel the billing, but they won't provide access to the account without the backup codes. Visit the Support page while you're NOT signed in to a Dropbox account (including these forums) and you'll see an option for Billing issues. Failing that, you'd have to contact your bank to cancel any future charges.

CTRB
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, it is a work account, the ownership of the account is the company not the employee therefore we should be allowed access if the email address is owned by us. The person who has the 2 factor authentication linked to his phone no longer owns the account as he has left the company (has been dismissed) and no longer uses the email address or owns the account. How do we get around this? We urgently need access to our data and files. 

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?