cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted account

Highlighted
Explorer | Level 3

My boss had files sent to his user name for dropbox but they accidentally merged with another account. Someone deleted the merged accounts and now my boss can not access his files (deleted??). When I try his username and password it says to contact the admin on the account. I cant tell if I am the admin. When I login I do not see any users. How can I fix this or.get his account and files back?

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: Deleted account

Dropboxer

Hi @Stefmeadows, thanks for messaging the Community!

I'm sorry to hear about this. It sounds like the user was a member of a Dropbox Business team, and the admin either suspended or deleted the account.

Do they know who the team admin was? If so, they'll need to contact that admin to see if they can recover the account if it was deleted within the last 7 days.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

The information was shared to my boss' personal free dropbox account and somehow was merged with the customer's account???? The customer could then see all of my boss' dropbox information/files.  When the customer tried to remove my boss is when everything was lost.  How could someone else delete my boss' account? 

Thanks,
Stefanie

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

This is what my boss sent me:

Earlier today Jon set up a dropbox account to share photos.  He made "my boss" a member.  I didn't catch it, and signed in.  It merged the my GSA account with Rams, and all of my files disappeared.  Every single one.   I had Jon delete me from the Rams  account (maybe hoping it would restore my original account) - no such luck.  Now everything is gone. 

Maybe that makes it more clear what I am trying to find out.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

It sounds like Jon is the team admin and deleted the account, so your boss can't access it.

Have Jon try to recover the account using the steps in my previous message and afterwards try to convert the account back to a personal plan.

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay, 

I contacted Jon and he is not able to recover Wayne's account. Jon's account is a business account and Wayne's is a personal. I spoke with chat and they couldn't help either. Does Wayne's account need to be changed to a business account to retrieve the data that was lost? Jon added Wayne and it somehow merged Wayne's personal files from his personal account to Jon's business account. Jon removed Wayne as a member and everything is gone. I'm at a loss. Please help. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

When Jon added Wayne, then Wayne should have been in the Dropbox Business team. Jon should be able to see this in the admin console.

However, if he transferred Wayne's data to another member of the team when he deleted the account, then it isn't possible to recover that account.

If that's the case, then Wayne would need to create a new account and then have those files shared to him from the team so that he can add them back to his personal account.

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

The files were not transferred to another member or anyone. Just merged and then removed when he was removed as a member. Now it is all gone. If he makes his account a business account will that recover the files?

Thanks,
Stefanie

Highlighted

Super User II

@Stefmeadows wrote:

My boss had files sent to his user name for dropbox but they accidentally merged with another account.

Your boss didn't just have files sent to him. Your boss received, and accepted, an invitation to join a Dropbox Business team. Doing so merges his personal account into the Buisiness account. Simply put, your boss' personal account no longer belonged to him. When the team admin removed your boss from the team, it deleted the account entirely. At this point, the account no longer exists and the team admin had just seven days to recover the account and convert it back to an individual account, if needed.

The files were not transferred to another member or anyone. Just merged and then removed when he was removed as a member. Now it is all gone. If he makes his account a business account will that recover the files?

If it's beyond seven days, there's no way to recover the account.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?