cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting drop box files from my computer

Deleting drop box files from my computer

megancperry
New member | Level 2

Some of my dropbox files are downloading on my computer and I'm getting the warning on my computer that I'm running out of space. I want to delete the files from my hard drive but keep them in my dropbox account but it's saying I don't have permission to delete. How do I resolve this? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Deleting drop box files from my computer

Chris_J
Super User

megancperry

You need to unlink your Dropbox from your computer. Go here: https://www.dropbox.com/account/security

and find your computer and click on the X on the far right-hand side.  That will unlink your computer.  Then you can quit the Dropbox Client.  Thus the files (if they are fully uploaded to Dropbox Servers (Cloud)) are safe, then you can do whatever you want with files on the computer.

However, consider using a feature called "Selective Sync"  which is perfect for what you need.  More info is here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-desktop

This might be the best way for you.

Let me know if this works for you and if its a good solution for you, please click on Accept as a Solution

and it would be nice if you would 'Kudo' me 😛

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Chris_J
Super User

megancperry

You need to unlink your Dropbox from your computer. Go here: https://www.dropbox.com/account/security

and find your computer and click on the X on the far right-hand side.  That will unlink your computer.  Then you can quit the Dropbox Client.  Thus the files (if they are fully uploaded to Dropbox Servers (Cloud)) are safe, then you can do whatever you want with files on the computer.

However, consider using a feature called "Selective Sync"  which is perfect for what you need.  More info is here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-desktop

This might be the best way for you.

Let me know if this works for you and if its a good solution for you, please click on Accept as a Solution

and it would be nice if you would 'Kudo' me 😛

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

megancperr
New member | Level 2

Thank you for the response!  This helped!

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey @megancperry 

If it’s not too much trouble for you, would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using the Dropbox Community? You can access it here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT .

[ Please feel free to get back in touch here at any time if you have any other Dropbox questions or experience any issues in the future. ]

Happy Dropboxing!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Leroy1332
Explorer | Level 3

easy to unsync and delete the dropbox app on my macbook but SOMEWHERE there are still 89 gigs of drop box stuff lurking around on my macbook that I cannot find to delete.

Help - ive been trying for 2 days now

Rich
Super User II

@Leroy1332 wrote:

easy to unsync and delete the dropbox app on my macbook but SOMEWHERE there are still 89 gigs of drop box stuff lurking around on my macbook that I cannot find to delete.

Your files are stored in a Dropbox folder, typically located within your user profile, /Users/[yourname]/Dropbox, unless you had moved it to a different location.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Leroy1332 Explorer | Level 3
    Jane Dropboxer
    megancperr New member | Level 2
    Chris_J Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?