cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting folders doesn't create more space. Why????

Highlighted

Deleting folders doesn't create more space. Why????

Explorer | Level 3

I just found out some of my Word documents weren't saving because I'm over my space limit. I deleted an entire folder, including many Word documents, two Power Point presentations, and several pdfs (so, waaaaaay more than my one Word document), and it still says I don't have enough space to save my one tiny document. How is it possible that freeing up that much space doesn't count?

This is the second time this has happened. Last month, I had to delete several 500+ page pdfs just to make room for a few Word documents.

13 Replies 13
Highlighted

Re: Deleting folders doesn't create more space. Why????

Dropboxer

Hey there @Laura888

Initially, could you please have a look at your Plan tab to see how much space is being reported as available and used by regular/shared content? 

From there, you can also check your events page to ensure that the deletions took place in your account. 

Should you need to free up more space, you can remove regular files and/or any shared folders that put you over the space limit. 

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello!

My question was why I have to delete all the things I listed above (power points, pdfs, whole folders of documents, whole books) just to make space for 1 Word document of no more than 3000 words.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey again @Laura888

If you are over the storage limit, whether the file you want to add to your Dropbox account is a few KBs or TBs, you'll have to bring your space below the maximum quota to save it.

I hope this helps clarify matters a bit!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello!

I think you might be misunderstanding my question. Why, for example, can't I just delete 1 Word document to make room for the 1 Word document I need to save? Why do I have to delete so many very, very, very large documents just to make room for that tiny document?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @Laura888, allow me to elaborate a bit on my previous replies:

Your account was over the storage limit since you mention in your original post that:

@Laura888 wrote:

I just found out some of my Word documents weren't saving because I'm over my space limit.

In order to get your account to sync changes to those files, you have to remove files and folders to bring your account just below the maximum storage limit. 

From there, to add new files - even a tiny Word document - you'd have to make the space for it. 

For example, if you are 30 MB over the quota limit, you'd have to remove that much to get your account to sync again. If you want to add a file of 50 KB, you'd have to remove an additional KB worth of files to add it. 

I'm not able to pin-point why exactly you had to remove so many files from your account, but I can only assume that it was enough to bring your account under the limit. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Well, since everything else was saved properly, I assume I was AT my limit, not OVER my limit. Why in the world would it let me go over my limit?

Highlighted

Dropboxer

I can't say exactly for sure why this may have happened, but it could have been the result of, for example, a shared folder that kept getting updated with new content, taking up space in your account. 

I also wanted to note that if you want to increase your storage without upgrading, you can also earn it. You can find more info about this in this article

Lusil

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Nope, I have one shared folder, and it has one Word document in it. I still don't understand why Dropbox has it's own rules were Word documents are the equivalent to several pdfs and Power Point files. And why I have to delete so, so many of the latter to fit one of the former.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey again @Laura888

If you'd like to look into this a bit more in-depth, due to account-specific info required, I'd recommend submitting a ticket to our Support team - they'll be able to check this out with you using our internal tools. 

If there's anything else I can help with, please don't hesitate to get back to me. Thanks!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?