cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting licenses

Deleting licenses

David L.6
New member | Level 1

Is way to difficult and convoluted and took much more time than it should have. This is the worst experience I've had with Dropbox. You normally make things easy. This was a pain in the ass, and for no good reason. I have deleted members months ago, didn't re-assign their licenses and was continuing to get charged. So I wanted to reduce the licenses. It was damn hard to find the way to do this. You should present the links in the same place as the delete team members location......very annoying

28 Replies 28

mark69
New member | Level 2

just figured it out: you need to go under "manage license" and in the box of "change license" you need to put in "MINUS x", e.g. -4 if you want to remove 4 licenses...

I know, super annoying. Thanks dropbox for wasting 30min of my life... 

LeonGeld
New member | Level 2

I definitely agree with the numerous comments here about the difficulty to remove unused licenses.  I was able to remove 2x unused licenses this morning only after quite some struggle.  Afterwards, I noticed that another license previously assigned to an ex employee was still active.  The had to go through a procedure to terminate the user, however, no option on Dropbox to now remove the license.  This is hugely frustrating and should be published/reported on other forums such as "Hello Peter".  Come on Dropbox management, stop ignoring the fact that your Customers are complaining about this business practice!

Ed
Dropbox Staff

Hey @LeonGeld

Sorry I'm just seeing this thread now. I'm reading through the comments and I'll try to summarize it to share with our internal teams.

Shouldn't be hard to remove unused licenses!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Hey @LeonGeld

I'd like to chime in here with some tips that'll help you control & adjust your team membership! 

#1. First off, I'd like to prompt you to visit the Members tab on the admin console. If you click on the "Member type" drop-down menu for "Invited", you'll see that members with pending invites to the team still take up the licenses assigned to their account. Therefore if you'd like to repurpose any of your unused user accounts, you'll first need to remove any invitations that haven't been accepted first & then use the licenses for new users. 

#2. Secondly, I'd like to note that there has been a change in the Dropbox for Business plans, put into effect after February, 2017. The change may have affected some teams opting to remain in the old pricing (that included a minimum of 5 users) who may have altered their mind and would like to revert to the new pricing while on an active subscription (since the new pricing comes with 3 users). In this scenario, the team will need to finish their current plan and any changes can be schedule for their upcoming renewal, as of 2018. That being said, if you're an admin on a team of 6 members (where the minimum amount is 5) & you'd like to reduce to 4, you'll be unable to go below 5. 

Of course our team is always a chat or a phonecall away if you need more details, both in order to send over the relevant steps & advise on the most suitable plan, that would match your needs! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Brian6
New member | Level 2

It's just a dropdown list of numbers, no option to type.

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Brian6

To my mind, and based on your description, you don't get this menu because it's not available for the action you'd like to perform. You may keep in mind that if your current plan's minimum number of licenses is 3 and you'd like to go to 2, the option is disabled by default. 

Hope this helps you clarify! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

anjay
New member | Level 2

SO HOW DO I DELETE A LICENSE IF ON A MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION?  I HAVE CLICKED EVERYWHERE AND HAVE DELETED THE MEMBER BUT STILL NEED TO DELETE THE LICENSE.  

Mark
Super User II
Anjaay follow https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/add-licenses-or-space

Note that you can only remove licences down to your minimum subscription level (either three or five)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Energy
New member | Level 2

I am way over trying to cancel some of my user licences. What a pain in the ass and a waste of my time. I am looking into other options other than DB due to what ocurs as entrapment. Still no joy getting this sorted as yet

@David L.6 wrote:

Is way to difficult and convoluted and took much more time than it should have. This is the worst experience I've had with Dropbox. You normally make things easy. This was a pain in the ass, and for no good reason. I have deleted members months ago, didn't re-assign their licenses and was continuing to get charged. So I wanted to reduce the licenses. It was **bleep** hard to find the way to do this. You should present the links in the same place as the delete team members location......very annoying

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Energy New member | Level 2
    Peter G.73 New member | Level 1
    Hello K. New member | Level 1
    Rob A.3 New member | Level 1
    craig b.16 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?