cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleting your account should have the same protection as your files

Deleting your account should have the same protection as your files

Zaas
Explorer | Level 3

Right now, deleting your account is the backdoor flaw in Dropbox security. If a hacker gets into your account and deletes it, on or near the date of your renewal, your data is gone. Having a vault, 30-day retention of files and whatever will do you no good.

So, my suggestion: always to offer 30-day retention on deleted accounts. When you make a mistake, your kid does this, some hacker: as long as your notifications are working; you will see this in a reasonable window of time and can restore the account to a point before your got hacked/ joked/ whatever.

Right now, I think Dropbox offers quite a good level of security. But this, I feel, is a flaw, Achilles heel, you name it. 

I think offering this solution is easy, elegant, and in line with what you can expect from your plan.

2 Replies 2

Sanchez
Dropboxer
Hey, @Zaas, welcome to our online community. 

Thank you for sharing your feedback and suggestions about account deletions/recoveries with us. I’m happy to share this with my colleagues.

If you’re not already doing so, I suggest enabling Two-step Verification on your account, as an extra layer of security. If you do, please make sure to save your Recovery Codes in a safe place, so you can access your account in the event you’re not able to receive your security key. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

csal2021
Explorer | Level 3
I really wish there was a way to keep original accounts afte joining a business team I joined my boyfriend at the times. He got mad kicked me out of the team. Stole my files then deleting my accoun
Need more support?