cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop App is also saving files to my computer - I don't have space!

Highlighted

Desktop App is also saving files to my computer - I don't have space!

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I have used Dropbox for work before, but now using at home to store photos mainly. Since getting a new Asus laptop and using Windows 10 I always have issues with disc space, a chunk of my space is used by Dropbox. I thought this was a cloud?

I can access from other machines, which is a benefit, but having the files on my laptop kinda defeats the purpose of having cloud storage?

Can I just have the files in Dropbox cloud? 

Advice, please

Thanks

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Desktop App is also saving files to my computer - I don't have space!

Dropboxer

Hey @Corez74, I’m wondering if you’re running out of hard disk space or you don’t have enough space in Dropbox to store new content. If you’re getting any error/ diagnostic messages along the way, please include a screengrab (without personal info) on this discussion here; it will greatly help us determine the best next steps to get going with that! 

From there, utilizing our Selective Sync feature will probably help you save up some hard disk space, however it would be worth noting that your Dropbox folder works just like any other folder on your hard drive- even if you are offline- though it’s enhanced with syncing properties /

That said, you may have heard of our Smart Sync feature, which is currently available for Dropbox Business and Dropbox Professional accounts. Smart Sync essentially lets you keep all your important files on your pc, without them taking up (almost) any space, while your Dropbox file structure remains intact. 

Hopefully my message brings a bit of clarity; please do let me know my suggestion works for you or in case you need further assistance in any way. Thanks for checking in on the Community & have a fruitful week ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Jane,

I am nearly out of space on Dropbox and my PC, but unsure why all my photos are saved on both my PC and on Dropbox., therefore using space on both.

I try to save most files away from my laptop and I would never have enough file space to match Dropbox should I upgrade to get more on Dropbox. If it will always save to my machine and the cloud I don't think Dropbox is an option.

I don't need daily access to the files, it is purely storage.

Is this a Dropbox app issue or does it work the same if I just use the website?

Many thanks

Corinna

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Thanks for looping back to me with all these additional details surrounding your current situation @Corez74; let’s take it from where we had left off!

To rephrase my previous message, if you drag & drop your files residing in your desktop inside the Dropbox folder, these are still available on that device and they should take up space just like any other file, however the advantage is that they’re syncing across computers & online. You can however remove some content you don’t need locally-even if you haven’t currently upgraded your Dropbox plan Corinna- by changing your Selective Sync settings. This will remove the files from your view on your desktop but will retain them across devices & on your account online

(Note: At the moment, only users on the Dropbox Professional & Business plans can choose to store files locally without them taking up space on their hard disk drive, as they can access the Smart Sync ☁️ feature.)

If you consider upgrading, you could have a quick look at our Plans page here to choose the option that best matches your needs. 

I hope that this leads you towards the right direction & I’m always here in case you have more questions or you’d like to share your thoughts. Thanks & enjoy the rest of your day Corinna! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you,

As far as I know, the files are in Dropbox as I selected it as a storage option from my phone, I haven't dragged and dropped them.

So can I delete files from my laptop hard disc to free up space? I assume there will be a copy safe in DropBox cloud?

Highlighted

Super User II

@Corez74 wrote:

As far as I know, the files are in Dropbox as I selected it as a storage option from my phone, I haven't dragged and dropped them.

You seem to be misunderstanding what Dropbox is and how it works.

The Dropbox folder on your computer is a regular folder like any other. It is not a cloud-based folder where the content only exists online. The files in the Dropbox folder exist on your local hard drive, taking up space like any other file or folder.

Dropbox is a file synchronization utility, and the entire point of it is to keep the files in your local Dropbox folder in-sync with the copy in the cloud. Any files you add to the Dropbox folder exist on your hard drive and will be synced to your account online. Any files you delete from the Dropbox folder will be deleted from your computer and your account online. Files uploaded from your phone to your account online are automatically downloaded to the Dropbox folder on your computer.

So can I delete files from my laptop hard disc to free up space? I assume there will be a copy safe in DropBox cloud?

You can use the Selective Sync feature that Jane mentioned above to remove the local copy of select folders from your computer so they only exist online. You would then use the Dropbox website to access those folders.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Rich & Jane.

I think you are right, I had thought it was cloud-based. For my needs, I most likely need to find another option.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?