cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Desperate situation: can't log in because I can't access my Gmail to get Dropbox verification co

Desperate situation: can't log in because I can't access my Gmail to get Dropbox verification code

AlEuf
New member | Level 2

I'm entering this from a new Dropbox account as I can't log in to the (paid) one I normally use. The problem is that Google disabled my Gmail for unspecified reasons. Dropbox likes sending me ID verification codes when I log in, which all go to the same disabled Gmail account. So it's not a matter of forgetting my email or password; it's the fact that I'm not getting the ID codes Dropbox is sending me. Along with this, I also can't access my payment receipts and other communications from Dropbox. My professional duties are somewhat compromised as a result.

I need a way to get into my Dropbox account so that, among other things, I can update it to a new email. I can provide a phone number to text your ID verification codes to if that's feasible. Please don't advise me to try handling this from Google's end first. I have already tried and they are apparently not budging. I have also dug through the Dropbox support forums and though I have found posts about similar issues, they are different enough that the suggested solutions are not quite suitable to my situation. On a related note, is chat support with an actual human still available?

3 Replies 3

Re: Desperate situation: can't log in because I can't access my Gmail to get Dropbox verification co

Rich
Super User II

@AlEuf wrote:

The problem is that Google disabled my Gmail for unspecified reasons. Dropbox likes sending me ID verification codes when I log in, which all go to the same disabled Gmail account.

If you have two-step authentication enabled and no longer have access to your email to receive the code, then you'll need to use the emergency backup codes you received when you enabled two-step authentication.

Basically, without access to the email account, or another active device already linked to the account, you wont' be able to gain access. You can contact support to prevent future billing, but they won't help you gain access to the account if you don't have access to the email address associated with it.

AlEuf
New member | Level 2

I don't believe I ever had 2-step authentication turned on. So is it a matter of they CAN'T help me re-access my account, or they just WON'T?

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox doesnt set up 2FA without a user telling it to do so. As @Rich said without access to that, or the backup codes you get upon set up, it isnt possible to regain access to an account.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?