cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devices and Device Users

Devices and Device Users

dreamboxuseronemillion
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I know that Dropbox limits the number of devices for free users to three. I currently use it on two devices--my laptop and my phone.

However, I  have two user accounts on my laptop, both of which I would like to use the same Dropbox account. For some reason, Dropbox counts this device (my only laptop) as THREE devices. It says the three devices are 1) my phone, 2) Macbook Air, 3) Macbook Air.local, and (when I try to use it on the second user account on laptop 4) "this device" -- and it says, again, "Macbook Air-local."

Even if for some dumb reason it's counting my user accounts as different devices, it should only count as three, total.

Any ideas how to fix this?

thank you!

6 Replies 6

Re: Devices and Device Users

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @dreamboxuseronemillion, welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

Could you please take a look at your Security page and let me know how many devices you see connected there?

If you're using the desktop app on two separate OS profiles, it's normal that they'd be both logged as connected devices and would count towards your account's device limit

I hope this helps and please keep me posted. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dreamboxuseronemillion
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply.

The security page shows the same thing as the login screen, which I described in my original post. It shows 'Macbook Air," "Macbook Air.local" and my phone. The problem is, to use Dropbox on either of my Macbook user accounts, I have to sign out of Dropbox on the other one, meaning it is only ever signed-in to Dropbox on two devices. It always lists a fourth attempted device, also called "Macbook Air.local - this device." So I usually sign out of the second instance of "Macbook Air.local" at which point it shows me signed-in on three devices.

Counting MacOS profiles as distinct devices is wrong. They are the same device, and unlike separate devices, they can only be used one at a time and in the same location. But that shouldn't matter anyway, since it will only allow me to sign in on two devices/users, despite the stated maximum of three.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @dreamboxuseronemillion, if you have two devices with the same name, then it means at some point there was a third profile since you can't login again as it reaches the limit.

Do they show up as being logged into recently on the security page?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

dreamboxuseronemillion
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

It's a brand new laptop and there have only ever been two profiles on it. I just created the second one yesterday and tried to use the Dropbox app on it, when this problem began. Right now it shows two instances of "Macbook Air-local," one says the last activity is "in the last hour" and the other says "about 18 hours ago" -- which is the last time I used it on the other profile (yesterday).

James

Jay
Dropboxer
Could you try removing the two Macbooks from the device page, and then try reconnecting them on both your computer profiles in the desktop app?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @dreamboxuseronemillion,

Despite Dropbox help topics say that limit is for 3 devices, as you have noted, the limit is related to performed links. The "device" count limit is a lie! Even on single machine (or even on a single account, but different context) maximal applications links at every one particular moment are up to 3 (not devices). If we assume every device keeps a single link then can be said the devices are limited to 3, but only in this context! 🤷 That's it,... unfortunately. You have one link coming out of your phone and 2 links out of your Mac - the limit got hit. Take in mind that Dropbox doesn't work as a service (you may thought so and get confused), but work as a regular application - independent registration per account basis, not per application install.

Hope this clarifies matter.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    Jay Dropboxer
    dreamboxuseronemillion Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?