Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Did not get referral bonus

Explorer | Level 3

I invited a friend to join Dropbox yesterday. Today he installed Dropbox. When I checked my referrals, I got this message:

Your invite wasn't accepted
  • Your invite to xxx@ was never accepted
  • xxx@ is already using Dropbox, sorry!

Why does it matter that he did not "accept" the invitation? Surely the fact that he installed Dropbox after I invited him will get us both the bonus.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Did not get referral bonus

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there @shillaker!

In order to receive the bonus space, the person you referred needs to complete these steps:
  1. Click the link in the referral email, and accept the invitation to sign up.
  2. Install the Dropbox desktop app.
  3. Sign in from the desktop app.
  4. Verify their account's email address
Please make sure that the user follows this process. You can find out more about referrals in this Help Center article

Let me know how it goes! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi there @shillaker!

In order to receive the bonus space, the person you referred needs to complete these steps:
  1. Click the link in the referral email, and accept the invitation to sign up.
  2. Install the Dropbox desktop app.
  3. Sign in from the desktop app.
  4. Verify their account's email address
Please make sure that the user follows this process. You can find out more about referrals in this Help Center article

Let me know how it goes! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II
Hi

The issue is that he already had an account, so your referral to him didnt work - he was using the service already.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

But he did not install Dropbox until after I invited him.

Should I ask him to uninstall it, accept my invitation in the email and then reinstall it?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@shillaker wrote:

But he did not install Dropbox until after I invited him.

But he did not click to accept the invitation first. Without accepting the invitation, he simply installed Dropbox on his own.

Should I ask him to uninstall it, accept my invitation in the email and then reinstall it?

That wouldn't matter. He already has a Dropbox account under that email address so it's no longer eligible for a referral. Also, referrals are only eligible when installed on a unique computer. Even if he were to delete the account, unintall Dropbox and you invited him using a new email address, Dropbox has already been installed on that computer so the referral wouldn't apply.

You can try asking Support if they'll honor the referral, but there's no guarantee that they will. Simply put, the requirements to earn the referral weren't met.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Same tbh

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?