Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Microsoft reported Dropbox size and Dropbox reported size

Richard E.3
Explorer | Level 3

Difference between my "D;" drive which contains my entire 1.66 GB Dropbox.  Yet I get a report that I am using over a 1.0 TB.  I have one tiny shared folder;  All with one e-mail and very very few files with multiple versions. 

Wham I missing? 

**bleep**

3 Replies 3

Re: Difference between Microsoft reported Dropbox size and Dropbox reported size

Super User
Super User

Hello @Richard E.3, Can you please check your Dropbox size at the web https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan ? That should be your correct Dropbox storage usage. It is possible that there is a large Dropbox cache strored in your local drive. You can manually delete the cache - https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/cache-folder

If the problem still persists, there might be some other hidden, temporary, cache files in your D drive. You can use Windows Disk Cleaner or another third party app like CCleaner to get rid of such cache/temporary files. 

Re: Difference between Microsoft reported Dropbox size and Dropbox reported size

Richard E.3
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Elixir,  No go.  Here is what I know.  I have a windows 10 dropbox on a USB drive.  ~132 GB. 

All boxes are checked in selective synch.  One e-mail account on all systems,  No shared folders. None.

Works fine; at least up to now. 

I also have added a  laptop with a 2 TB USB connected Hards drive and I am trying to maintain my full mirrored dropbox on that. When I pluged that USB drive into my laptop... My system lan-filled it with a full dropbox.  No problems,,, No notes.  Full - up-to-date dropbox 

Now,  in the field. I have unpluged and repluged in the USB 2TB drive into the same laptop, and chaos reigns.  First, it up loads a few megabytes of files onto the dropbox that I have added in the 2 day interim. 

Ok, as expected. 
Then it decides to index everything and what look like "upload" the whole lot again...  Crash.. 1.0 TB. 

Perhaps my direct question should be: "How to maintain a large dropbox on a usb plug in, so I can use it when needed?"  -- that is my objective.   I have numerous data-collecting laptops. 

Can I use the same USB 2 TB  drive on several of my laptops? ... ( these are used for colleecting large amounts of environmental field data. )   Some are Win 7 other Win 10 laptops.   

The crashes here are on a Win 7 machine, the portable USB drive that was filled with a Win 10 mother machine. 

Note in Passing:  No hidden files as you named above were found with visible hidden files turned on.  
When I ask windows how big is the laptop usb d: drive droipbox it comes back 760 GB.  Yet, I have only about 123 GB of files as reported on my fully checked mother computer dropbox... .   

In summary:

Home Mother computer reports 123 GB 

Laptop explorer reports 760 GB  .. dropbox size 

Dropbox reports 1.0 GB  - crash ... 

Yes,  there is only one email account, no shares.  Just me.  

Any Ideas on how to use a "pluggable/portable" USB drop box. 

Orrr what am I doing wrong? 

Thanks 

Richard Ely 

Super User
Super User

Hi @Richard E.3, It is not advisable to use the same external drive in different computers for Dropbox syncing. Most importantly, you should never un-plug the external drive while the Dropbox app is running! There are some risk of losing data - https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder 

I would suggest you to plug in your external drive to one computer all the time. You may use selective sync in other computers to sync/upload a specific folder from each computer. While your main computer syncs all the folders. You may also copy data using another USB drive/stick to copy/transfer the data from those field computers to your main computer, and run the Dropbox app only in the main computer. 

Please check your Dropbox folder in the web if all your data are consistent there. I am afraid during the unplug/replug process something unexpected might have happened. Also, you may check the Dropbox events page

Can you please check the Dropbox folder (the one shows much bigger size). Inside the main Dropbox folder, you will see a hidden cache folder named .dropbox.cache. What is the size of this cache folder? If all the data are safe in your Dropbox web, you may delete the contents inside this cache folder. 

Capture.png

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?