cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling Random Password Expiry Feature

Highlighted

Disabling Random Password Expiry Feature

New member | Level 2

Hi,

Is there anyway to disable random password expiry? I've been forced to change my password twice now in a month at the request of Dropbox when logging on using the browser. I got the following message:

We expired your password as a security precaution. See our Help Centre for more information about password expiry and securing your account.

However, as the single PC that I have the Dropbox app installed is still using the original password and hasn't asked to be refreshed so this system clearly isn't working.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Disabling Random Password Expiry Feature

Super User II

@clumsyhands wrote:

Is there anyway to disable random password expiry?

No, that's not possible.

However, as the single PC that I have the Dropbox app installed is still using the original password and hasn't asked to be refreshed so this system clearly isn't working.

The system is working fine. The Dropbox application you install on your computer only uses your password to link the computer to your account. After that, the password is no longer needed and Dropbox instead uses a secure token instead. Changing your account's password has no effect on the token. This is why the Dropbox application doesn't ask for the new password. It's simply not needed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Disabling Random Password Expiry Feature

Super User II

@clumsyhands wrote:

Is there anyway to disable random password expiry?

No, that's not possible.

The system is working fine. The Dropbox application you install on your computer only uses your password to link the computer to your account. After that, the password is no longer needed and Dropbox instead uses a secure token instead. Changing your account's password has no effect on the token. This is why the Dropbox application doesn't ask for the new password. It's simply not needed.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?