cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnect Facebook

Disconnect Facebook

Marija E.
Explorer | Level 3

Hello there. 

I don't have my Dropbox connected with my Facebook to my knowledge. However, this doesn't stop Dropbox from sharing information about my activity on Dropbox with Facebook, as I've seen on my Facebook Privacy panel in the "Your off-Facebook activity" section. 

How can I be in control of my data: how can I stop Dropbox from sharing my information with Facebook for no reason? 

Any help greatly appreciated.

Best,
Marija

7 Replies 7

Re: Disconnect Facebook

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Marija E., thanks for messaging the Community!

If you have information from Facebook that it is able to gather data from Dropbox, then you might have connected it in the past.

You can remove this connection from this page on your account.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Marija E.
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay, 

thank you for your reply. My Facebook is not connected. I'm attaching a screenshot from that page you also linked, where you can see connected accounts on Dropbox - Facebook is not there.

I am also attaching a screenshot from the "Your off-Facebook activity" page where Dropbox is pushing information to Facebook that I've interacted with the Dropbox app. 

How can I control this?

Best, 
Marija

Dropbox screenshot.jpgFacebook screenshot.jpg

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Marija E.! Could you clarify for me which link you visit to view the off-Facebook activity?

Do you possibly have a third party app linked to either Dropbox or Facebook that is providing this info?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Marija E.
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne, 

thank you for responding. I am using Facebook's own tool at: https://www.facebook.com/off_facebook_activity

The tool is on Facebook under Settings / Your Facebook information / Off Facebook activity. 

I have requested download of my information from Facebook from https://www.facebook.com/your_information/ where I got the individual activities that Dropbox submitted to Facebook listed. I have attached a screenshot from this list to my previous response.

I am not using any third-party apps that would exchange information between Dropbox and Facebook. I am not using any third-party apps for checking this information. This is why I find this unsettling.

Any help much appreciated, 
Marija

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @Marija E. - out of curiosity, did you use your Facebook account/app to send any shared links, shared files, or shared folders?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Marija E.
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Lusil !
Thank you for checking in. I have shared Dropbox links from my Dropbox account on Facebook messenger in the past. However, I have not done that since August 2016. Despite this Dropbox keeps having data exchanges with Facebook. I've checked again today, the latest activity is in October 2020 (screenshot below).

Any idea what is happening?

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 11.26.23.png

Lusil
Dropboxer

I can't exactly pin-point what's happening, but I'd be more than happy to send you a ticket so that we can have a more in-depth look into it.

I've sent you one, so when you have the chance, check your inbox and we'll go from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    Marija E. Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?