cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does changing owner of folder reduce current owner's space usage?

Does changing owner of folder reduce current owner's space usage?

PhilCr
Explorer | Level 4

I have a business account with 1TB and a personal account. Can I change owner on some of my personal files to my business account and thereby reduce the data usage on my personal account?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does changing owner of folder reduce current owner's space usage?

Mark
Super User II
Yes, it will be. Because its in your account.

Shared folders use up the quota of all users.

Hence in my initial post I said you'd need to delete the share from your account (note just delete, not rejoin it).

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
You would also need to leave the share on your personal account to gain the space back 🙂

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

PhilCr
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark, appreciate your reply. Could you please explain a bit more "need to leave the share on your personal account".

I just want to change ownership so that the space doesn't count towards my quota. Do I need to remove the folder from my current account and re-share it from the new account?

Mark
Super User II
Transferring ownership of a folder only does that, it doesnt remove the share from the old owners account.

So once you have transferred the ownership to the other account you then need to leave the share from your personal account at www.dropbox.com/share. Once you've done that (and selected the option to delete the folders) you will gain the space back.

PhilCr
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, yes did that. Unshared myself and deleted the folders and regained the space. Sadly, as soon as I accepted an invite to reshare myself from the new user account the space was swallowed up again.

Mark
Super User II
Yes, it will be. Because its in your account.

Shared folders use up the quota of all users.

Hence in my initial post I said you'd need to delete the share from your account (note just delete, not rejoin it).

View solution in original post

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    PhilCr Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?