cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does deleting my Dropbox account affects the the files on my computer?

Does deleting my Dropbox account affects the the files on my computer?

Charley07
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox scares me, whenever I delete a file on Dropbox I loose it on my computer and vice versa. Obviously I do not understand it.

If I choose to delete my Dropbocx account which is basically only being used as a back up (for which I have Cloud) will it affect my files on my computer (same files)?

3 Replies 3

Re: Does deleting my Dropbox account affects the the files on my computer?

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Charley07 wrote:

Dropbox scares me, whenever I delete a file on Dropbox I loose it on my computer and vice versa. Obviously I do not understand it.

Hi @Charley07,

Dropbox is a sync service, so what exactly scares you? 🧐 Can't you recall What's the meaning of the Word "sync"? 🙃

@Charley07 wrote:

If I choose to delete my Dropbocx account which is basically only being used as a back up (for which I have Cloud) will it affect my files on my computer (same files)?

Dropbox is not a backup service even though there are some pretentions, so probably could be find a real backup service. As a presuption your local files shouldn't be affected after account deletions. But there is one big BUT: Make sure all your files are in sync locally and reside on their respective place. If at account deletions moment some file reside only there, it will gone forever! This means before delete the account make sure all folders are set in "Selective Sync", "Smart Sync" feature is turn off, and the "Computer Backup" feature is off too. After that unlink the application from your account and it's already safe to do whatever you want with your account.

Hope this helps.

Re: Does deleting my Dropbox account affects the the files on my computer?

Charley07
Explorer | Level 3

I've gone into My settings, preferences but cannot find  "Selective Sync", "Smart Sync" feature not even "Computer Backup" feature. I'm obviously misinformed when it comes to Dropbox

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?