cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Does my access to a friend's dropbox folder count against my personal dropbox space capacity?

Does my access to a friend's dropbox folder count against my personal dropbox space capacity?

Chodie
Explorer | Level 3

A friend gave me access to a specific folder in his drop box account. But now I am getting notices that my own dropbox is full. When I checked, it appears that his big folder to which I have access is taking up all the room in my personal dropbox. Is there a way around this?

Thanks!

Laurie

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does my access to a friend's dropbox folder count against my personal dropbox space capacity?

Rich
Super User II

@Chodie wrote:

A friend gave me access to a specific folder in his drop box account. But now I am getting notices that my own dropbox is full.

When you join a shared folder, you're not getting access to a folder in someone else's account; you're getting get a complete copy of that folder within your own account, which syncs any changes made by either of you. Since you have a copy of the files, they take up space in your account.

Is there a way around this?

If you only need to view or download the content, you can ask your friend to send you a shared link to the folder instead. You'll be able to view the content and download any files you need, but you won't be able to make changes to anything within the folder.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@Chodie wrote:

A friend gave me access to a specific folder in his drop box account. But now I am getting notices that my own dropbox is full.

When you join a shared folder, you're not getting access to a folder in someone else's account; you're getting get a complete copy of that folder within your own account, which syncs any changes made by either of you. Since you have a copy of the files, they take up space in your account.

Is there a way around this?

If you only need to view or download the content, you can ask your friend to send you a shared link to the folder instead. You'll be able to view the content and download any files you need, but you won't be able to make changes to anything within the folder.

View solution in original post

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Need more support?