cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does putting files to my dropbox folders take up space in my computer hard drive ?

Does putting files to my dropbox folders take up space in my computer hard drive ?

Victor L.3
New member | Level 1

I don't have enough space on my computer drive, and I'm thinking of using dropbox to save some files. I wonder if dropbox files also take up disk space on my computer drive.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Does putting files to my dropbox folders take up space in my computer hard drive ?

Ed
Dropboxer

Hi Victor

Yes, it will take space if they're being synced on both your computer and Dropbox. However, you can use the selective sync feature to have certain folders (the ones you choose) to be synced only on Dropbox, so it won't take space from your computer's hard drive.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Re: Does putting files to my dropbox folders take up space in my computer hard drive ?

wise D.
New member | Level 1

Drop box is taking up space on my computer drive, as much as 58GB !!!!!!

Ed
Dropboxer

Hi Victor

Yes, it will take space if they're being synced on both your computer and Dropbox. However, you can use the selective sync feature to have certain folders (the ones you choose) to be synced only on Dropbox, so it won't take space from your computer's hard drive.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Jerry E.3
New member | Level 1

Our my dropbox files also on my pc hard drive so that I can work on them if I am in area where there is no wifi. Thanks

maxine a.
New member | Level 1

I use Dropbox for backup only just in case my PC has a meltdown. I have been copying my files into the Dropbox folder by hand. Are these files also being stored somewhere else on my PC therefore making a second copy and taking up twice as much space on my PC?

Rich
Super User II

I use Dropbox for backup only just in case my PC has a meltdown.

If that's all you're using Dropbox for, then you should look for a different solution. Dropbox is not a backup tool and shouldn't be used as one. While it does have some backup-like functionality, its purpose is as a file sync service, and not a cloud backup service.

Use the right tool for the job. Many people here use CrashPlan.

I have been copying my files into the Dropbox folder by hand. Are these files also being stored somewhere else on my PC therefore making a second copy and taking up twice as much space on my PC?

If you're copying files, then yes, you're storing two copies; the original that you're copying, and the copy in the Dropbox folder. The Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your computer. Anything you put in it is stored locally. The idea behind Dropbox is that you move your files (not copy) into the Dropbox folder and work on them there. They'll exist on your local drive as well as in your account online.

maxine a.
New member | Level 1

Thank you Rich R. I have been under the wrong impression that it was cloud storage, I will start using something else. Thanks again.

lyle s.2
New member | Level 1

I am just starting to get the hang of the features of dropbox, and some are really handy. But I don't understand something. Everything I am reading tells me that it really doesn't save you much room on your PC and phone. Isn't that what a cloud storage should do is store files that take up room and give you free space. Why do I pay for a TB of storage if my computer 

lyle s.2
New member | Level 1

Sorry, I accidently pressed submit.I was saying is it worth it to pay for a TB of storage when my pC doesn't hold anything near that. 

Are there any sites that do save room on your PC?  And if I add my iTunes music to dropbox can i delete it from my phone or is it the same size.

Thanks

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lyle s.2 New member | Level 1
    maxine a. New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?