cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrading back to Free after upgrading to Plus (specific question)

Downgrading back to Free after upgrading to Plus (specific question)

mbossiere
Explorer | Level 3

I have a question about upgrading to Plus... I have 23 GB of free space I earned with referrals. If I try Plus and subsequently decide go back to free would I lose the space I earned with referrals upon restoring my Free status?

In other words, would I go back to my 23 GBs or would I be put at 2 GB?

3 Replies 3

Re: Downgrading back to Free after upgrading to Plus (specific question)

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @mbossiere, thanks for posting on the Community!

The maximum amount of quota you can earn from referrals would be 16 GB, so most likely, some of the extra quota you have was from other promotions.

When you upgrade to a paid plan, the referrals would be worth 1 GB each, so the 16 GB would be 32 GB.

Downgrading your account would return the referral quota to 16 GB in total. No extra quota would be lost when downgraded.

If you need any more details, feel free to message back!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mbossiere
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

Thank you for replying. But your answer has not really clarified much for me.

I can't recall how much of my 23 is from referrals or other promotions. But your statement:

"When you upgrade to a paid plan, the referrals would be worth 1 GB each, so the 16 GB would be 32 GB"

is a complete mystery to me. I have no idea what you are referring to. Would I get 32 GB in addtion to the normal paid quota amount?

Then you state:

"Downgrading your account would return the referral quota to 16 GB in total. No extra quota would be lost when downgraded."

This part confuses me even more! It seems to imply that downgrading (back to Free) would result in having only 16 GB, but then it says that no extra would be lost!

My question is really very simple. That is, Would I be assured of being able to return to my full 23 GB if I chose not to continue with a paid quota?

That's all I want to know.

thanks

Marc

Jay
Dropboxer
Referrals are worth 500 MB on a Basic account, on a paid account, referrals are worth 1 GB each.

To answer your last question, upgrading, and then downgrading, would not affect the quota you've earned on your account and it would return to 23 GB.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    mbossiere Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?