cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DropBox reporting that I'm over my 1TB limit when I see less than 800GB of files.

DropBox reporting that I'm over my 1TB limit when I see less than 800GB of files.

Leo P.
New member | Level 1

I have DropBox pro with a little over 1TB of storage. On my machine I have selective sync turned off an all folders and synced to this machine. The size of my dropbox folder is 786GB but the DropBox app is saying that I'm over my 1TB limit.

I accessed the .dropbox.cache folder to see if there were some files in there but the folder size was half a meg.

Not sure why DropBox thinks I have 200GB of files that aren't there.

Please help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: DropBox reporting that I'm over my 1TB limit when I see less than 800GB of files.

Rich
Super User II

Member of any shared folders? What does the breakdown of your space show on your Account page?

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Re: DropBox reporting that I'm over my 1TB limit when I see less than 800GB of files.

Rich
Super User II

Member of any shared folders? What does the breakdown of your space show on your Account page?

View solution in original post

Leo P.
New member | Level 1

On the account page it says, Regular Files (1TB) Shared Files (10GB).

Leo P.
New member | Level 1

Can anybody help?

DropBox service is worse than most freeware companies. This is ridiculous.

Chris E.27
New member | Level 1

I have upgraded to 1TB and when I log into my account I have used 150GB of that 1TB.  The Dropbox on my desktop is telling me I have used 200GB.  When I try to add more files (my music) which is 130 GB I gat a message "can't be copied as there is not enough free space".

There is conflicting readings between my desktop and what my account is telling me.  I have deleted and reinstalled it but that has not worked.

Anybody any idea what I should do please.

Mark
Super User II

That message isnt from Dropbox Chris, its from your computer. In other words you do not have enough hard drive space. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Chris E.27
New member | Level 1

Thank you so much Mark.  I have been having issues with my computer over the past couple of weeks and this seems to be another issue which has just cropped up.

Thanks again for your help

Kimberly B.11
New member | Level 1

Having the exact same issue is Leo P. This is painful. I have 312Gb of files yet dropbox says that I have 1Tb in regular files. Completely untrue.

Funny that this happens at the same time that they put a heavy marketing push for Dropbox Business. I don't have 5 users, just me. and I don't even need 1Tb, just 312Gb.

BTW, my hard disk is not full. It is a 3Tb hard drive and I have only used 400Gb.

Leo P.
New member | Level 1

Hi Kimberly, at least for me there was a solution. I have a Mac and there were aliases that referred back to the original files within the Dropbox folder. For example, my iPhoto library was in there and there was also a link elsewhere to my iPhoto library. It was counting the alias as having the same size as the original!

i don't remember it but there was a terminal command I used to reveal all the aliases and delete them. Hope this helps!

Gloria T.1
New member | Level 1

Drop box says full. Deleted most. Still says full. Can't get any help.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kimberly B.11 New member | Level 1
    Erica B.2 New member | Level 1
    Gloria T.1 New member | Level 1
    Leo P. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?