cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Automatically deactivated/closed my account!!! How can I get my files back?

Highlighted

Dropbox Automatically deactivated/closed my account!!! How can I get my files back?

Explorer | Level 3

Hello, 

I just noticed an email from dropbox (from few months ago) that they cosed my account due to inactivity. First of all, I am curious who make a decision on closing someons account before I agree to it? I have multiple dropbox accounts and I keep archive of important pics/info/templates there that I might not visit all the time but I TRUSTED your platform to store and keep it there. I am thinking of suing DropBox bcz there were templates from my organization and HIPPA information in there if my account is not deactivate right away. 

I am very frsuterated and angry by this incosiderate violation by DropBox! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox Automatically deactivated/closed my account!!! How can I get my files back?

Dropboxer

Hello @Sahkh, thanks for checking in with us and sorry to hear about this. 

An inactive account is determined by various factors, like sign-ins, file shares, and file activity on our platforms over the last 12 months. 

You can find more information about this, here

However, I do understand how important this is for you, and I'd be happy to send you a ticket to have a better look into this. 

Let me know how you'd like to proceed, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox Automatically deactivated/closed my account!!! How can I get my files back?

Dropboxer

Hello @Sahkh, thanks for checking in with us and sorry to hear about this. 

An inactive account is determined by various factors, like sign-ins, file shares, and file activity on our platforms over the last 12 months. 

You can find more information about this, here

However, I do understand how important this is for you, and I'd be happy to send you a ticket to have a better look into this. 

Let me know how you'd like to proceed, thanks!

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 10

Hi there

One can also read your email like this. You use a couple of FREE Dropbox Basic accounts (2GB ea) to store important information on. As is clearly stated in the Dropbox terms and conditions (Google it it you wish) an account is deleted after 12 months of inactivity and after sending you email reminders a number of times that your account will be deleted. I assume the information was not that important if you did not access it for 12 months, but that is my assumption. If the information was that important to you, why don't you just take out a PAID subscription and be sure they will never be deleted as long as you continue to be a paying subscriber? Or use a Google Drive subscriptiont hat offers 15GB free?

Dropbox is a business. And they cannot keep data forever for free if people store data on their platform but does not access it. It does not make business sense.

Regards

Casper

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

You just asked bunch of questions that are personal and not realted to your business. 

If you dont wear your clothing for a year it means they are not important and someone can throw it out for you? 

I am using FREE dropbox accounts and it is NOT against the law, sorry you didnt know. 

I still want my files back as google drive which is a free platform and NEVER access the information to delete it, it was expected that dropbox has the same business moral. 

HOW CAN I GET MY FILES BACK?? 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

You just asked bunch of questions that are personal and not realted to your business. 

If you dont wear your clothing for a year it means they are not important and someone can throw it out for you? 

I am using FREE dropbox accounts and it is NOT against the law, sorry you didnt know. 

I still want my files back as google drive which is a free platform and NEVER access the information to delete it, it was expected that dropbox has the same business moral. 

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I cant see a ticket. Do you send it here or email it to that closed account? Id like to look into this with a ticket and get my files retrieved. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @Sahkh, you can create a ticket do this by opening an incognito/private browsing window, while not signed into any account, and accessing this link.

From there you should be able to contact support. Make sure to enter the same email of that account you used to login to Dropbox, and that you still have access to that inbox in order to respond to it. 

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?