cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox Backup uses my own space?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I would like to know if the backups that Dropbox does and keeps my data for 30 or 120 days uses my own space or not. If I have a 1TB plan, can I use the whole 1TB or not? And if I use, Dropbox will still have a 1TB backup of my files allocated on other servers? tks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox Backup uses my own space?

Experienced Collaborator | Level 11

Welcome to the Dropbox Community @marciosm - nice question you've got there 

From what I understand you are referring to files that have been deleted from a Dropbox account and the ability of Dropbox to restore them - this is 30 days for basic and Plus users while it expands to 4 months ( 120 days) for the (individual) Professional  plan as well as for the Business teams' plans (as shown here). 

The backup of your Dropbox files in their servers won't take up any space from your account whatsoever meaning that you get to use the maximum of your account's quota ( 1 TB). Just note that permanently deleting files won't count against your storage quota. Permanently deleting files after they have already been deleted doesn't free any more space in your Dropbox.

As mentioned, for Dropbox Basic (free) and Plus users, deleted files are permanently deleted after 30 days. If you have a Dropbox Professional or Business account, files are permanently deleted after 120 days.

I hope this makes sense and let me know if I can clear anything up for you! Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Welcome to the Dropbox Community @marciosm - nice question you've got there 

From what I understand you are referring to files that have been deleted from a Dropbox account and the ability of Dropbox to restore them - this is 30 days for basic and Plus users while it expands to 4 months ( 120 days) for the (individual) Professional  plan as well as for the Business teams' plans (as shown here). 

The backup of your Dropbox files in their servers won't take up any space from your account whatsoever meaning that you get to use the maximum of your account's quota ( 1 TB). Just note that permanently deleting files won't count against your storage quota. Permanently deleting files after they have already been deleted doesn't free any more space in your Dropbox.

As mentioned, for Dropbox Basic (free) and Plus users, deleted files are permanently deleted after 30 days. If you have a Dropbox Professional or Business account, files are permanently deleted after 120 days.

I hope this makes sense and let me know if I can clear anything up for you! Thanks.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

tks for the answer

Highlighted

No worries @marciosm - glad I could help! 

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?