cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox: Free up iPhone space not available after Carousel shutdown

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Unfortunately the Free Up iPhone space option is still not available in Dropbox, after Carousel was shut down. The FAQ just says this will be available "later this year", without a reference date (later 2015? later 2016?).

The feature to backup my photos and an get rid of them on my phone was one of the main reasons why I upgraded my Dropbox account to Pro. Otherwise I could have used any other file hoster, but that's how you got me.

Now I have to delete all pictures by hand and need to find out which ones have been uploaded manually.

So when will this be available?

21 Replies 21
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox: Free up iPhone space not available after Carousel shutdown

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Any answer on this?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I agree. This was one of the specific features I used and why I bought paid Dropbox pro too.

that and the date slider that actually works.

dropbox had better get something akin to carousel working ASAP or will be hosting my transfer to another provider.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

So when will this be available?

Dropbox does not release time frames for product features. We'll know about its availability when it's released.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

So why kill carousel which was actually quite good?

great customer service. As useful as tits on a bull 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

The free up space feature was huge! Now it's gone. Time to find another storage app that can do this. Anyone have suggestions? I don't know how they could be working on it if they already had it! Next time kill the app AFTER you have found solutions to the problems your creating! One star for Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Moving to google photo's because of this. Google drive is as good as dropbox and is actually more efficient with a huge local library (500 gig+). Google photo's was part of google + and that's why I originally chose to go with dropbox.

Both are quite even in terms of price and features.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I'm really pretty dismayed by this. I too really liked Carousel and relied on the free up space feature, which was a key part of its value proposition at launch. Frankly I assumed it had been incorporated into the the next Dropbox app update and am just clueing into the fact that that didn't happen, hasn't happened, and no one is saying when or if it's going to happen?!!

I've been a happy premium customer for years, and am generally pretty lazy about switching, but this will drive me away, too.

Fail. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I am really curious what is behind this>>>!!! Either this feature was hard on drop box servers, or Apple muscled them out of using this feature, so we move to icloud....

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Please bring this feature back!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?