cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox Full

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have a personal dropbox account which I don't really use. I was sent an invitation to my work dropbox account but when I try to access it, it says my dropbox is full and it wants me to upgrade. Can anyone help?

10 Replies 10
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox Full

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

Shared folders count against all accounts that take part in them, so if you want to share more data than your account has available in free space, you will be prompted to upgrade.

Highlighted

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12

Just upgrade as instructed

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

But then I have to pay personally, as well as the charity I work for having to pay - is that right?

Highlighted

Super User alumni
Super User alumni

But then I have to pay personally, as well as the charity I work for having to pay - is that right?

If you want both accounts to be able to access more data than the free accounts capacity, then yes, both accounts have to pay for the upgrade.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I can understand now, why there is no official "Help" for this issue. I would invite an official DropBox representative to give me some rationale for the double charge beyond an "It's our policy" statement. The question is "Why?" BTW, I did not share any of the data. It is loaded from someone else's account. Do you have no way of tracking who contributes to a shared folder? Can not the owner of the folder pay for the space?

[Note: I do not work for dropbox.] The policy of having shared folders 'use' quota from each member is a justifiable business decision so that owners of a Pro or Business account do not sub-let their quota to others. From a technical point of view I can only speculate that having tables of CRC for each 4MB of storage on the servers is a reason to have shared-folders count against the quota of each member.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Rick, I appreciate your taking the trouble to answer, but I want DropBox's official answer. Those of us who do not work for them simply are speculating unless we are comfortable passing along a spokesperson's answer and citing it.

Highlighted

This is a User forum (99.9, so you are not going to get "official" answers here. In fact, the answers you get here may be BETTER than a corporate response because company reps are under restrictions of several kinds.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Rick M., I appreciate your clarification on the nature of the forum. Some companies do participate in their tech support forums, but many do not. I'm sure they find their support costs much less that way. For technical issues, I would agree and observe that is true with many support forums, which wouldn't work without dedicated posters like you. I have participated in a few myself. However, this is a policy issue i will submit next to their sales team. They have a responsibility to answer whether they choose to or not. Potential customers have a right to judge them for that, among other factors. Thanks again for your responses.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?