cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox (Online Account) is saying full (198%), but it isn`t!

Dropbox (Online Account) is saying full (198%), but it isn`t!

DBUser_123
Explorer | Level 3

Hi guys,

my dropbox online account is saying it`s full (198% in use).

But that`s definitely wrong. I checked my full synced dropbox folder on my mac and i have about 80-90% in use. How can i "reset" dropbox to show the correct percentage and make it sync again?

I don`t have shared folders in use!!!

A few days ago, dropbox had shown the right space and i haven`t uploaded large files since that day. 
Thanks for any help!

Axel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

DBUser_123 wrote:

How can i "reset" dropbox to show the correct percentage and make it sync again?

You can't. If the Dropbox website is saying you're over quota, then you're likely over quota. What does it show for usage on your Plan page, and what is the breakdown of Regular files, Shared files, etc.? It will look llike this:

ad894e7540a905a3991c7bd32d59494e.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II

DBUser_123 wrote:

How can i "reset" dropbox to show the correct percentage and make it sync again?

You can't. If the Dropbox website is saying you're over quota, then you're likely over quota. What does it show for usage on your Plan page, and what is the breakdown of Regular files, Shared files, etc.? It will look llike this:

ad894e7540a905a3991c7bd32d59494e.png

View solution in original post

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey Axel, 

Rich is pointing you towards the right direction above, though I’d just like to add that, if you’re checking the Dropbox folder size on your desktop (eg. by right-clicking & looking at the folder properties/ Get Info), you may keep in mind that this doesn’t include your selectively synced files. 

This is just to reiterate that you’d rather consult the website as the most accurate point of reference. 

Hopefully this brings more clarity & welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

DBUser_123
Explorer | Level 3
hi rich,
the shared files are just a small piece of the space. and it displays more space than on my mac, but i have synced all folders on my mac. there must be a fault in the dropbox account. it seems as dropbox displays exactly the double of the real size!
i already checked the cache...

a few days ago i had about 90% and uploaded just small files since that.
very strange...

Mark
Super User II
The online page is correct I'm afraid DBUser_123.

You may not have them all sync'd to your machine as syncing will have stopped once you are over account.

As Rich said can you give us a screenshot?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DBUser_123
Explorer | Level 3
Unfortunately, i can‘t post screenshot with my mobile phone.
But i have 22,2 gb space in general. 198,2% seems to be used (44gb). shared files are about 6gb of this...

but:
i fully synced my mac and there the space size of all dropbox folders is half of the space, which is displayed in dropbox online.
it doesnt male sense at all, because i always had about 80-90% of the available space in use and changef nothing!!
and know i should have the double of that space in use???
i guess there most be a sync fault, which makes dropbox think it has the double size of the real space...

my solution would be:
saving all files/folders local and deleting most of the folders afterwards. then loading them up again...

any other ideas? 🙂

sorry for my english 😉
axel

Jane
Dropboxer
Hey Axel (DBUser_123), let me suggest an alternative way to send over some advice. 

Needless to say that your English is perfect! 

Secondly, in order to expedite resolution at this point, I’d recommend looking into the matter through our Official Support channel, so as to check your account details on our tools and address your inquiries immediately. Following, I’d be happy to look into your ticket internally if you included your ticket ID in your next post here, 

I’m looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

andyg51
New member | Level 2

I've noticed similar issue on my free 2GB acct, and found a folder that was shared to me (not owned by me) had about 800MB of datafiles added to it. Looks like that shard folder is being included in my personal quota - unsue if this is normal behaviour for a folder owned by someone else to be included in my quota - was not expecting my droxbox to be suddenly full when they updated shared folder

Andyg

Rich
Super User II

andyg51 wrote:

Looks like that shard folder is being included in my personal quota - unsue if this is normal behaviour for a folder owned by someone else to be included in my quota

Yes, that's normal. Any files in your account will count against your storage quota, regardless of who owns them. If it's in your account, it takes up space.

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Need more support?