Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Plus = No Smart Sync to legacy Pro users?

Christian E.9
Helpful | Level 7

As others, I've been following the Project Infinite/Smart Sync project for a long time, hoping and actually expecting this to be a feature available for Pro users.

But now, seing that Dropbox Pro changes name to Dropbox Plus, I understand this to be a sentiment not to include Smart Sync to legacy Pro users. What do you think?

As many other loyal Pro users of Dropbox, I'm afraid that Smart Sync wont become available to professional individuals and that I/we will have to look for alternative cloud storage providers.

[Broken image removed by moderator]

92 Replies 92

Re: Dropbox Plus = No Smart Sync to legacy Pro users?

Llewellyn
Helpful | Level 6

I very much agree with this. I see that they dropped the business to 3 people as the base amount. But I would really like to see a 1 person business plan! I can see the day I will need more than 1 TB of data and I would really like to use the Smart Sync. But I'm stuck because I can't afford to pay for 3 people for a 1 person shop. 

Super User II
Super User II

Christian E.9 wrote:

But now, seing that Dropbox Pro changes name to Dropbox Plus, I understand this to be a sentiment not to include Smart Sync to legacy Pro users.

It has never been stated that SmartSync would come to Pro (and now Plus) accounts. It was always discussed as a Business feature, and in fact was even announced on the Business blog. No where has it been stated that it would be available to Pro users. We (the Super Users) have been pointing this out from the beginning. That's not to say that it won't come to Plus accounts someday. Many features start off as Business-only and then are added to the personal accounts, but this has neever been announced or even hinted at.

Incidentally, the only change in the Pro accounts is the name. All the features remain the same. This was done to better distiguish the product from the Dropbox for Business product line. Pro (and now Plus) accounts were always meant as personal accounts, and not business.

thewellington
Helpful | Level 6

Llewellyn where are you seeing a 3 user requirement..  I still see a 5 user minimum.

Sad that Dropbox can't get this in gear for the Pro customers

Rif.: Dropbox Plus = No Smart Sync to legacy Pro users?

Architetto D.
Helpful | Level 6

The fact that Dropbox doesn't care about freelance individual professional users, with (of course) a Plus plan, is disappointing. 

Llewellyn
Helpful | Level 6

Thewellington, when I'm logged into my account, if I click on upgrade to business, then down a little on the page is more info about Dropbox for Business. When you click that, it shows it there. Here is the direct link. https://www.dropbox.com/business?_tk=dropbox_ft&_camp=ft_upgrade 

thewellington
Helpful | Level 6

When I clock that link, "Standard" starts at 5 users.  They must like you a lot

Llewellyn
Helpful | Level 6

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 11.24.58 AM.png

Llewellyn
Helpful | Level 6

They give you a little promo sometimes. I think it is because I tried Dropbox Business for a couple days and so they are trying to rope me in. 

ttatummm New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Rich wrote:

Many features start off as Business-only and then are added to the personal accounts, but this has neever been announced or even hinted at.

Hmm... I've actually seen "hints" early on that this feature would eventually be available for individual accounts.  Of course it's possible that Dropbox has since made a different business decision about this... which is unfortunate as I was planning to upgrade my account just for this feature 😟

For example, this is from https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/9293,

screenshot

"... not yet available" does indeed hint at some intent (at the time this was written) to make it available eventually.  I'm guessing Dropbox has either changed their mind or is now choosing to not make any public commitment to keep their options open.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?