cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox and Unreasonable Cost for Service

Dropbox and Unreasonable Cost for Service

Frank_Leet_Rumpwon
New member | Level 2

Hi Community, 

Trying to use Dropbox to backup my SMS, 2.7GB worth.

Found out there was a 2GB limit on the free account, and an unbelievably high 155CAD/month to 'upgrade' to 2TB.

I have 15GB free with GOoledrive.

I have 1TB free with Onedrive.

At the unrealistically high rates for Dropbox, why would I bother? Dropbox is pricing itself out of the market due to some idiot Suits that are out of touch with the cost of storage.  Good going, Dropbox.

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II

@Frank_Leet_Rumpwon wrote:

I have 15GB free with GOoledrive.

I have 1TB free with Onedrive.

Google subsidizes their cloud storage with their ad revenue. Microsoft subsidizes their cloud storage with their hardware and software revenue. Also, OneDrive only offers 5GB of free space. 1TB comes with Office 365 subscriptions, so you're likely paying for it anyway.

Dropbox has... Dropbox.

NeetsJazz
New member | Level 2

Yeah, no matter how they rationalise it (I'm an Aussie so that is how we spell "rationalise") the cost is unreasonable. And they're not upfront about it on the initial page you're directed to that details the plans available. That makes no mention about the cost of any of the options, and you don't see cost until you click "Upgrade Now". The cynic in me wonders if that's because if they were more up front about it, very few people would click past that page. It's also rather frustrating that it's not possible to delete things to free up space. I'd like to think that's a design flaw rather than a deliberate ploy - though is incompetent design better than a lack of integrity? I'm not sure.

Mark
Super User II

@NeetsJazz 

It is, of course, possible to delete things to free up space. Otherwise once you added things once you'd never be able to upload again. 

Dropbox has said, quite publicly, that its offering isnt about storage and if thats all you need use things like Google or Box. It is about the other products and things you get with it. THANKFULLY though its a free market so people can spend what they want where they want 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    NeetsJazz New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?