Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox basically ignores freelancers market

Explorer | Level 4

I'm a freelancer with a Plus account looking to upgrade Professional. For this, I want to pay with my company credit card. I'm a solo business owner, have an EU based company with a VAT code.

I'm ok with their new pricing, smart sync looks great, but seriously, I need to upgrade to Business account? FOR WHAT? I DO NOT HAVE A COMPANY OF 3 MEMBERS. WHAT ABOUT COMPANIES OF 1 MEMBERS?

Basically if I want to use my business to pay for Dropbox, I need to upgrade to Dropbox Business, which I do not need because I don't have other 3 users.

What the heck is this new update that doesn't make sense? There are lots of freelancers with a VAT ID code that need to include it on their invoices, but we can't because... need to pay 30 euro per month.

Are you guys autistic at Dropbox? Did you seriously gathered in a meeting and figured out it would be a great idea to ignore single business owners that DO NOT NEED ACCOUNTS FOR 3 GODDAM USERS?

Great thing you have a new hip design, but flexibility wise you became more rigid. **bleep**ing hipsters.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox basically ignores freelancers market

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

VAT support for Dropbox Professional has been added. If you upgrade from Dropbox Plus to Dropbox Professional, there should be an option to enter your VAT ID now. Additionally, you can added VAT ID to your Professional account after the upgrade, but it won't reduce your payment retroactively, and you will have to submit a ticket to have Customer Support refund your VAT taxes. 

Now that the team has added the ability to add VAT during purchase, there is a strong effort to improve on this baseline experience by allowing it to be added to previous invoices, etc, but that could be some time off still. 

We are listening and trying to find ways to meet our customers needs though, and appreciate the feedback we get from everyone.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Aysun

Are you trying to upgrade from this page? https://www.dropbox.com/plans

There's no need to jump into a Business account to move from Plus to Professional. You should be able to upgrade as an individual from there.

Let me know how did it go.

Cheers

Ed

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

actually, my bad. I re-read your post and understand that you're trying to add VAT - please ignore my previous answer. I'll pass this on to our payments team asap to look into this piece of feedback (which is totally valuable).

tagging @Rob_Cash @DD1

Thanks again

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the feedback!

Introducing the Professional plan, we're actually trying to better serve the Freelancer market and have been gathering feedback like yours to continuously improve the product. I'll take this onboard and pass it on to our product team.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Yep, what DD1 said! We are gathering feedback, and I will ensure that this lands in a discussion with the teams working in that area. 

-Rob

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I'm already transferring all my files to G Suite.

Payed for 3 years month by month on Dropbox to end up being treated with indifference when I contact your support on Twitter to add a VAT code. On top of that, I can't justify the price raise, when the market is going actually cheaper.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

As a reminder, Support on Twitter, and in the forums, will ask that tickets be opened within our ticket tracking system so as to enable support to assist customers. 

As I said above, I've reached out to the team that works in this particular area and let them know of the need that customers have in providing VAT related documentation.  

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Im a freelance designer as well and would love to upgrade to business but 30 eur / month is out of my budget so if theres any way to have a business plan as a single-user at a fair price like € 12,99 / month im in! 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

VAT support for Dropbox Professional has been added. If you upgrade from Dropbox Plus to Dropbox Professional, there should be an option to enter your VAT ID now. Additionally, you can added VAT ID to your Professional account after the upgrade, but it won't reduce your payment retroactively, and you will have to submit a ticket to have Customer Support refund your VAT taxes. 

Now that the team has added the ability to add VAT during purchase, there is a strong effort to improve on this baseline experience by allowing it to be added to previous invoices, etc, but that could be some time off still. 

We are listening and trying to find ways to meet our customers needs though, and appreciate the feedback we get from everyone.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Rob,

I don't understand your reply. Can you please tell me why Dropbox charges EU VAT registered customers VAT and doesn't provide a compliant invoice when they subscribe a Plus Plan.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?