cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox.com unable to connect.

Dropbox.com unable to connect.

timewizard
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox.com unable to connect. I have two laptop computers, both on the same network and set up exactly the same. One connects to dropbox.com just fine, the other says unable to connect. I don't get it. It won't even load the dropbox.com page. Doesn't work on either Firefox or Internet Explorer. Funny though, is that the Dropbox data on that computer is up to date. Help?

12 Replies 12

Re: Dropbox.com unable to connect.

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @timewizard, thanks for posting on our Community and happy Monday!

Can you please let me know if you see any improvement after clearing your browser's cache or on another browser?

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

timewizard
Explorer | Level 3
I am curious, is that some sort of canned, generic response? I ask this because it says right in my query that I tried it on both Firefox and Internet Explorer. It will not work on either. Cache is not an issue.

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the follow up @timewizard

I was trying to eliminate browser specific issues, hence my original question. If the issue is reproducible on another browser or an incognito window with no extensions or plugins running, it would eliminate many factors that we'd need to check. 

That said, I'm not sure if this would do the trick, but could you have a look at this discussion and let me know if any of the suggestions there help?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

timewizard
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your reply. Here is what I have discovered. I can connect to dropbox.com on my computer that is connected directly to the router by cable. I cannot connect to dropbox.com on the computer that is on wifi. But, I have discovered that if I turn on VPN add on in Firefox, then I can connect to dropbox. Is there something about my wifi or my router settings that is not allowing the connection to dropbox.com?

Walter
Dropboxer
Have you ensured that the standard internet ports 80 and 443 are open for Dropbox to transfer data?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

timewizard
Explorer | Level 3

I am not certain how I would go about checking that. Why would they not be? Would that cause me not to be able to access the dropbox.com website unless my VPN is on? My Dropbox desktop application is able to keep my files up to date. I don't know if that is helpful or not.

timewizard
Explorer | Level 3

So, I am not going to get any resolution to this issue?

Walter
Dropboxer
Sorry for the late reply @timewizard. Could you try the steps outlined in this post and let me know if they helped improve matters for you?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

timewizard
Explorer | Level 3

I am not certain as to what steps you refer. You asked if ports 80 and 443 were open. I responded that I am not certain how to check that. When on wi-fi, I can connect to Dropbox when my VPN is active, but cannot connect when it is off. I can connect just fine when the internet is cabled, but not on wi-fi. This pretty much summarizes the problem.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    timewizard Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?