Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox docs and photos are being stored on my hard drive...

Helpful | Level 5

I access our company Dropbox on my MacBook Pro, and lately I'm being notified that I have used all available storage space on my hard drive. It looks like the biggest usage is company files stored on Dropbox. How do I prevent the Dropbox files from downloading onto my computer? Can I safely delete them from my hard drive and still have the option of viewing them when needed?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox docs and photos are being stored on my hard drive...

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks very much for your response...can you describe the steps I should follow to unlink my computer and uninstall Dropbox in order to delete files, and then how to reinstall Dropbox with only selective sync or smart sync enabled? 

Again, my thanks!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for your swift reply as well @Wendela - much appreciated. 

Since (as I understand, correct me if I'm wrong) you're part of a Dropbox for Business Team account you should be able to use Smart Sync right away. No need to uninstall etc. - all you have to do is set your existing files (the ones within your Dropbox folder) to be online only. To do this would follow these steps: 

• Open the Dropbox folder on your computer.
    1. Click the Dropbox icon from the menu bar.
    2. Click the folder icon.
    3. Choose Open folder.
  • Locate the content that you want to make online-only.
  • Control-click or right-click the file or folder.
  • Choose Smart sync.
  • Choose Online-only.

I hope this helps and let me know how it goes for you! Oh, if you just joined an account that offers Smart Sync you might want to reboot your computer as well before following these steps. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello there @Wendela - how are you today?

Just a heads up here, the Dropbox Folder (created when installing our software on any computer) is a folder just like any other, only with syncing features. This means that its content takes up disk space on your computer's hard drive - this is probably you reached your hard drive's limit. 

As per your inquiry now, I understand you'd like to free up some space on your computer and be able to access your Dropbox files at the same time - feel free to correct me if I got something wrong. 

As you say, you can safely delete your files supposing that you have unlinked the computer in question first which includes uninstalling after unlinking the account. 

If you'd like to keep our desktop app and save space on your Mac computer take a look at our selective sync and Smart Sync features. 

Should you need any assistance with any of these, let me know and I'll be happy to help. Till then, happy Dropboxing and enjoy the rest of your day. 

PS: You can always access your files easily via the website should you need to.

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks very much for your response...can you describe the steps I should follow to unlink my computer and uninstall Dropbox in order to delete files, and then how to reinstall Dropbox with only selective sync or smart sync enabled? 

Again, my thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for your swift reply as well @Wendela - much appreciated. 

Since (as I understand, correct me if I'm wrong) you're part of a Dropbox for Business Team account you should be able to use Smart Sync right away. No need to uninstall etc. - all you have to do is set your existing files (the ones within your Dropbox folder) to be online only. To do this would follow these steps: 

• Open the Dropbox folder on your computer.
    1. Click the Dropbox icon from the menu bar.
    2. Click the folder icon.
    3. Choose Open folder.
  • Locate the content that you want to make online-only.
  • Control-click or right-click the file or folder.
  • Choose Smart sync.
  • Choose Online-only.

I hope this helps and let me know how it goes for you! Oh, if you just joined an account that offers Smart Sync you might want to reboot your computer as well before following these steps. 

Walter

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks! I followed your instructions, and it was an easy fix!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear this helped @Wendela!

Should you come up with any more Dropbox questions, please let me know and I will be happy to assist. 

Thanks for using Dropbox and have a wonderful week ahead!

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?