cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Dropbox for *Small* Business

Helpful | Level 5

I'd like to put the idea out there for a Dropbox account for Small Businesses.

For us, the following would work well:

• $50/month total

• Can add up to 20 users

• 1TB of space

• Unlimited file recovery

It's similar to a Personal plan, except you get the permissions management for business and the unlimited file recovery. Not to sound too cheap here, but the $15/month/user is just enough that we'd prefer to stay on Personal plans.

Our team is about 10 people, so I get that for a large company, the current business plan probably makes sense, but we don't necessarily need unlimited space and we'd also like the ability to up/downscale users without needing to adjust billing all the time, so we can work easily with contractors etc.

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox for *Small* Business

Super User II
Super User II

I like that, cant see it happening for 20 users though - not when on DfB that'd cost $300pm or $200 via Pro

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

IMHO The total volume of space for DfB customers isnt the biggest of factors, we apparently can get as much as we want, (when it was 1TB ours got raised with out fanfare to 1.5TB just on me saying I needed it).
While we dont require it as we use network shares and a customer file locking system, Im SURE a lot of DfB customers are going to be implementing the Office File Badge, its going to reduce there conflicted copy problems hugely. The Unlimited recovery is a nice add on and truely shows how the 1TB or 5TB or >5TB quota on the account truely means nada, we must have over 5TB in sql BAK files by now, all sitting there in a deleted state.
If your happy to pay $50 its not that much more to go to $75 and if you understand your OS well you can implement a system using just one DfB account that supplies everyone files. And they can keep there own free or pro accounts as needed.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I see your point about space not being the biggest of factors. I also agree $75/month is fine, but it was more the fact of having to add/remove contractors constantly and the variable costs associated with that.

I would however be interested in understanding this a little better: "if you understand your OS well you can implement a system using just one DfB account that supplies everyone files".

Could I for example, setup an account for say a group of employees, like "developers", and have them all login to that same account? Therefore instead of having 10 people on my DFB account at $150/month plus contractor, I could instead keep our logins to 5 or under by grouping employees under certain logins and only pay $75/month.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

@Bill A.
Yes that is one method, and by no means a bad one, if all group members have identical access there is no reason to supply one DfB accounts per physical member as they all require the same files, and THAT is what DB was designed for, to SYNC multiple devices with the same content.
With some limitations on the ability to access for updates/maintenance you can even have different groups who have differing access using the same DfB account. This takes a somewhat different than normal installation, where you use the administrator account on the device to install DB on, and selectively sync the folders down to what the user should have, then permission those folders so the user has access. Lastly setup the DB app to launch with a scheduled task under the administrators account so its always running. (Windows systems).
I did this for a terminal server where it was not logical to have the individual users downloading the same info as one another when multiple were all on the same machine, there we used a extra account and shared in all groups folders and permissioned them all up based on who needed them, so the one machine synced itself and permission controlled access to the files.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Dave, some great ideas for DfB setup there.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

There should be something like a "small business" option that allows one user to get a separate business dropbox (like how the business accounts work, where you can have your personal and business, side by side) with unlimited storage. I would even pay like $200 a year for this. I've run into this same problem where I have more than 1TB of storage I need to store on the cloud or sync with my computer, but I am a one-man-team and do not have 5 users, but still want the unlimited storage. Right now, I am having to settle for Amazon cloud drive, where I'd much rather use Dropbox. :/

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Mike

If it wasn't for the over 1TB need, you could use the 'team' feature: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/9124

As unlimited storage is a need for you, then yes, Dropbox Business would be the solution, but with that minimum cap of 5 users.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Ed,

Yep, I know. However, like I said, I only need the storage for 1 user. I (and I'm sure a lot of other small business owners) do not want to pay for 5 users when all we need is one. Like I said, I would be happy to pay more per year for a single, small business user plan rather than having to pay $75 per month (or $900 per year) for 4 additional users that will go unused.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Dropbox and will continue to use it for my personal stuff. But, Dropbox has always been a bit behind when it comes to pricing and storage structures. For instance, just this year Dropbox finally started offering 1TB of space for the pro plan (instead of 100GB) where as the competition like Google Drive, OneDrive and others have had the 1TB plan for a few years before Dropbox started. And, now Amazon Cloud Drive offers unlimited storage for $70 per year and even Google Drive allows you to upgrade your personal storage in tiers. OneDrive (last year) promised to offer unlimited storage but then recently reneged on that promise, so that was kinda a bummer. But, I know Dropbox loves their customers too much to do something like that.

So, since Dropbox for Business isn't an option for me because of the structure of needing 5 users and thus the pricing, it would also be awesome if you were able to add additional storage to the pro version. For instance, right now, I need a little over 1TB of cloud storage. I am currently using Amazon Cloud Drive for this and like it, but I love Dropbox much more and would love to use that instead. Anyway, it would be awesome to be able to sign up for the pro plan and just pay an additional $100 a year for an additional TB of storage. So, then if I needed 2TB of storage, then I would just pay $200 a year.

Thanks!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Understandable - Thanks for the detailed feedback on this Mike. I've passed it on to our teams internally.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?