cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox full because of shared folder

Dropbox full because of shared folder

Michele A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi, i have a dropbox account and the free space that i have is full because of the files inside the shared folder that i have with some friends.
Is there a way to avoid that the shared folder that uses the free space of my account without cancelling those folder?
Because i have no more space and i haven't uploaded any files

Excuse me for my english but i found problem on trying to traduce this message from my language

132 Replies 132

ubo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Although I don't agree with Dropbox, and this is the primary reason I won't spring for Pro, I understand why they did this.

It's simple, really. Say, someone creates 10 free accounts. 10 x 2GB = 20GB. Now, that person, from each account shares a folder with his main account. That person just got more, free, space.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

User 1556073
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a free dropbox account with only a few files stored in it directly (files I've uploaded or others have uploaded to my account).  Recently someone shared a folder with me that has many files including one folder with nearly 4GB of files.  Those files are (as far as I can tell) in the account of the person/organization that shared them with me.  So do files shared with me also count toward my storage space (as if they are taking up space in two accounts)?

User 1556073
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Someone I know pointed me to this, so I guess I've answered my own question.  I searched but didn't find that document earlier.  In short, yes it DOES count toward my storage space so my alternative is to either re-build the share omitting that folder, or use a shared link to the entire thing.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

User 1556073 Explorer | Level 4
    Richard P. Super User alumni
    Ben L.26 New member | Level 2
    Andreas G.17 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?