cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox full because of shared folder

Dropbox full because of shared folder

Michele A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi, i have a dropbox account and the free space that i have is full because of the files inside the shared folder that i have with some friends.
Is there a way to avoid that the shared folder that uses the free space of my account without cancelling those folder?
Because i have no more space and i haven't uploaded any files

Excuse me for my english but i found problem on trying to traduce this message from my language

132 Replies 132

Adam C.36
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Dave.

Whatever. Too much faffing around with other people's content to manage my own space. I shouldn't need to teach other people how to manage their space in order to keep my allowance available. Even if I disconnect sometimes, it's still possible that when I reconnect the share, my space is blown away while I am connected. These are problems I don't need, and don't expect to have to deal with.

I still disagree with you, and this charging model, but your total inability to even consider this charging model might have some flaws is now getting tiresome. I'm off now to live my life again and use cloud services that don't expect me to manage the space that people share with me so my doesn't get shafted.

Bye.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Adam C. : Saying someone has an inability to do anything, just because they disagrees with you doesn't make them incapable, if you think it does you're ignorant, if you think it should then your arrogant.

Since you leaving (again), ill just reply with this last message, People are NOT sharing "space" with you, they are collaborating on file content. The share content with you, you have to have enough space to house it. If you choose to see it as something else that is your right, it however doesn't mean anyone else much bend to that view.

Goodbye

Corstiaan S.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Dave @Adam,

Guys guys, don't you think it's time to stop bickering and bury the hatchet? You're not getting anywhere in this discussion. 

I'm getting out of this discussion anyway, making my final statement:

I understand what Dave is saying: you're paying for the USE (storage, bandwith, lookup etc) of files that are shared with you, not the storage.

And that's where we are disagreeing. Let's look at this analogy: someone says to me, if you want to borrow one of the great books I have in my extensive bookcase, feel free to do so. Dropbox way of handling this is having me pay for the complete collection of books that is provided to me, even if I've not even read or borrowed one of them. That's crazy. That's like having the library charge every customer for all the books they've got in storage.

If they want to charge me for every file I actually access, fine.

And now go play outside 😉

grtz, Cors

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

You have access to every file shared to you, if you choose not to access it more the fool you for having them. They are not borrowed, they are collaboratively accessible by many, a library that can give you all the books at once, and allow you to read everyone's foot notes, any yet you still think it should be near free.

Ask you ISP for your internet free, I mean the sites you go to they dont own, why should you pay them to access them? pffffffffffffttttttttttttt.

Allen C.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I can't believe I need to participate in this thread...I recommended to someone to use Dropbox to upload wedding photos they took.  They upgraded from a basic account to a 1 Terabit account.  I have editing privileges in their Dropbox account, so I tried to upload some images to it and got the message, that apparently others have gotten, that I must increase the size of my account in order to upload to their account.  With all the times that Dave insists this is logical, I not only fail to see the logic, but now realize I made a mistake suggesting to this individual that they use Dropbox.  Google Drive, here I come.  

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I must increase the size of my account in order to upload to their account.

The part you're not understanding is that you're not uploading to their account. You're uploading to yours. If a folder is shared with you, it's in your account. If you upload to that folder, you're uploading to a folder that exists in your account.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Allen C. :  Sharing a  folder is about collaborating on the content, if you just wanted people to upload files then you can create a File Request link and supply it to people, from which they can go to the link and upload files.

Allen C.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks, Dave.  I've asked the other person to send me the File Request link and it sounds like that should take care of the problem.  How should she have set things up so that those she wanted to be able to view the contents of the folders she set up for the wedding would be able to?  I am thinking she had to share the folders.  Isn't that correct or is there another way that would still allow someone to upload photos to the folders in her Dropbox without the File Request link?

Scott M.15
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Yup GoogleDrive. with ocr for documents too. See ya.out.

Ben L.26
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Glad to see I'm not the only one who finds it utterly ridiculous that the contents of shared folders in Dropbox count against everyone with access.

And before Dave jumps in to try and explain it to me: I understand your access vs capacity argument, and that Dropbox charges for throughput and not storage. I get it.

It's stupid and I'll be leaving Dropbox because of it, but I get it.

Before I go: Picture fifty people each with their own Dropbox account and several machines on different LANs. Now picture a cron job running something something like "rm $HOME/Dropbox/*.random;dd if=/dev/random of=$HOME/Dropbox/$(date +YYmmddHHMMSS).random bs=1M count=2000" on one machine per person every few days. If this hypothetical situation wouldn't render those involved in violation of the terms of service (and if it would, I'm interested in which terms it violates, precisely), you can see how nominal use with shared folders actually requires lower monthly throughput than valid personal use by several separate individuals.

That specific example is a bit hyperbolic, but imagine any situation that involves a large binary file that is replaced every few days that needs to be synced across multiple machines without LAN sync and it sounds silly to still be arguing the data access point.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

User 1556073 Explorer | Level 4
    Richard P. Super User alumni
    Ben L.26 New member | Level 2
    Andreas G.17 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?