cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox has dropped me!

Highlighted

Dropbox has dropped me!

Explorer | Level 3

I have encountered a serious issue whereby I can no longer access my DB account or my files. I was asked to join a work colleagues Dropbox Business folder which subsumed my individual dropbox into their business DB account. So the only way for me to access my own individual DB account was to go through their business DB folder.

When the administrator looked into how to extract my folder from theirs, the instructions from DB were to delete my account. Of course, when they did that, I could no longer access my individual account either through their business account or as I normally would have previous to this disaster.

Eventually, I was able to contact DB Support (which was an extremely difficult process to even find an email for support). I had seven emails from Kylie (Dropbox Support) <support@dropbox.zendesk.com> from this email address.

Kylie has not resolved my issue.

So I then tried to create a new DB account with my existing email but after downloading the application I got the message “Couldn’t start Dropbox because if permission errors”.

I sent Kylie the error message in an attached screenshot with the email "I just am at a total loss for what to do. All of my work is in DB." Kylie has not responded since 27/08/20.

The error is:

"Couldn't start Dropbox.

This is usually because of a permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error.

For more information, click the help button below. Please contact Dropbox support with the following info for help: 

hyperlink then opens a white box that states the following:

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 106.4.368
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 45
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: 85ea8026-388a-55dd-996b-3bd0138cff05
pid: 2899
ppid: 1
uid: 502
user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='Rochelle', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Rochelle Spencer', pw_dir='/Users/Rochelle', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
effective_user_info: pwd.struct_passwd(pw_name='Rochelle', pw_passwd='********', pw_uid=502, pw_gid=20, pw_gecos='Rochelle Spencer', pw_dir='/Users/Rochelle', pw_shell='/bin/bash')
euid: 502
gid: 20
egid: 20
group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'Rochelle', '_pcastlibrary'])
effective_group_info: grp.struct_group(gr_name='staff', gr_passwd='*', gr_gid=20, gr_mem=['root', 'Rochelle', '_pcastlibrary'])
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH: None
cwd: '/'
     real_path='/'
            mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
     parent mode=0o40755 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: '/Users/Rochelle'
appdata: '/Users/Rochelle/.dropbox/instance1'
         real_path='/Users/Rochelle/.dropbox/instance1'
                mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
         parent mode=0o40700 uid=502 gid=20
dropbox_path: '/Users/Rochelle/CRC Coolamon Dropbox'
              real_path='/Users/Rochelle/CRC Coolamon Dropbox'
              parent mode=0o40755 uid=502 gid=20
sys_executable: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/MacOS/Dropbox'
                      mode=0o100755 uid=502 gid=20
trace.__file__: '/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                real_path='/Applications/Dropbox.app/Contents/Resources/python-packages.zip/dropbox/client/ui/common/boot_error.pyc'
                      not found
                parent not found
tempdir: '/var/folders/gl/1k4tq6mx39l43wsvm46w9dz80000gp/T'
         real_path='/private/var/folders/gl/1k4tq6mx39l43wsvm46w9dz80000gp/T'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "dropbox/client/authentication/manager.pyc", line 658, in _try_register_host
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 7118, in check_for_reboot_and_deletedata_flags
  File "dropbox/client/main.pyc", line 7110, in _sync_everything_check_for_reboot_and_deletedata_flags
  File "dropbox/client/features/sync_everything/gating.pyc", line 348, in allowed_remote_account_delete
  File "dropbox/foundation/stormcrow/machine.pyc", line 56, in get_variants_all_accounts
dropbox.foundation.stormcrow.NoStormcrowDataError: No data source object has been specified yet

So the sum of all this is that I still cannot access my personal DB account. Can anyone please assist me as I'm not getting anywhere with Dropbox Support.

Rochelle

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox has dropped me!

Explorer | Level 3

This is the automated email i now receive when I try to contact Kylie from Dropbox Support:

Ticket #11396178: Re: Added to Dropbox Business - now problems

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to Dropbox support. Replies to this email are routed to an unmonitored inbox and will not be answered by our support team.

Your technical support options depend on what kind of account you have. To see the support options for your account, log in and go to https://dropbox.com/support.

In the meantime, why not check out our help centre at https://help.dropbox.com/learn/faqs for FAQs, how-to articles and more or why not reach out to our Dropbox community https://www.dropboxforum.com where you can get answers and discover new ways to use Dropbox.

The Dropbox Support team

Are you having issues logging into your account? Try our sign in FAQs
Have a payments or billing question? Try our payments FAQs
Think you want to cancel or have a cancelation question? Try our cancelations FAQs
Security or privacy question? Try our security FAQs

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey there @Mia_Sunlight, thanks for reaching out to us and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

I'd be more than happy to help, I'll just need a bit more info to make sure that we're on the same page. For example:

• Would you like to regain access to the account the admin removed?
  • If so, when did the admin delete your account from the team? 
  • Could you confirm if the error log you posted is complete?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Dear Lusil.

Thank you for responding to my issue. 

In answer to your questions:

• Would you like to regain access to the account the admin removed? I thought that was pretty clear. YES. I want access reinstated to my individual dropbox that I use. I want nornal access to my Dropbox.
  • If so, when did the admin delete your account from the team? This is the timeline of my Dropbox disaster:
    • I was asked to join a team's DB Business folder called CRC Coolamon, which I did on 12 July 2020. I was informed by DB that "Your previous Dropbox Plus subscription has been cancelled and we've issued AU$53.99 to your original payment method for the remaining value of your subscription".
    • My individual DB folder was immediately subsumed by the DB Coolamon folder. So the only way for me to access all my files was to go via the Coolamon DB Business folder. This was unacceptable. I asked the administrator for the Coolamon DB folder, Roxanne Barney, to extract my folder from Coolamon DB Business folder and they could not work out how to do so. When she looked into it she could only find these instructions, which she followed: 

https://help.dropbox.com/teams-admins/admin/convert-to-individual

Subsequently, my account was deleted from Coolamon but it was also completely deleted denying me any access to my individual account. This is the message I received from DB on 12 August:

Hi Rochelle,

Your administrator has deleted your CRC Coolamon Dropbox account. You'll no longer have access to the account and any shared links you've created will be disabled. Your computer will no longer sync with the website, other computers, or other devices. If you have any questions, please contact your administrator.From 17 August I started emailing with Kylie from DB Support to get my individual DB account reinstated with all my folders and documents. As you can see from the string of communication, I have got nowhere with having my DB reinstated. And now when I email Kylie I simply get this generic email back and she has not been in contact again: 

Ticket #11295473: Re: Added to Dropbox Business - now problems

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to Dropbox support. Replies to this email are routed to an unmonitored inbox and will not be answered by our support team.

Your technical support options depend on what kind of account you have. To see the support options for your account, log in and go to https://dropbox.com/support.

In the meantime, why not check out our help centre at https://help.dropbox.com/learn/faqs for FAQs, how-to articles and more or why not reach out to our Dropbox community https://www.dropboxforum.com where you can get answers and discover new ways to use Dropbox.

The Dropbox Support team"

• HERE IS THE STRING OF COMMUNICATION  

Ticket #11232061: DB: Added to Dropbox Business - now problems

You can add a response by replying to this email. Please be sure to reply with the same email address that you used to originally contact us.

You can also reply by logging in to your customer portal at https://dropbox.com/support.

Kylie, Aug 26, 2020, 7:48 PM PDT:Hi Rochelle,

In order for us to further investigate, we'll need to get and analyze the full error log that corresponds to the error message pop-up you're getting.

You can obtain the full text of the error by clicking on the blue link within the error message pop-up. This will open a file with the full text of the error. Please either copy and paste the text in your next response or save the file as a text file and send it over to us.

Thanks a lot and I look forward to your answer with the error log.

Kind Regards,
    Kylie
    Rochelle Spencer, Aug 25, 2020, 5:15 PM PDT:

Hello Kylie.

I tried to set up a new Dropbox account but after downloading the application I got the message “Couldn’t start Dropbox because if permission errors”. See attached screenshot. I just am at a total loss for what to do. All of my work is in DB.

Regards,
    Rochelle

Attachment(s)
    Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 10.21.08 am.png

Kylie, Aug 25, 2020, 4:41 PM PDT:
    Hi Rochelle,

Thank you for your reply. 

The email address you are writing in from is now associated with a Dropbox Basic free account.

Can you please confirm that you have been able to access or create an account? 

Looking forward to your response. 

Kind Regards,
    Kylie

Rochelle Spencer, Aug 24, 2020, 6:32 PM PDT:

Dear Kylie.

I don’t know what Zendesk Support is.

When I login to  https://dropbox.com/support with the one and only email address I have ([email removed as per Community Guidelines]) and try to sign in, I get a message that “Invalid email or password” and “Oops! It looks like you may have forgotten your password. Click here to reset it”.

When I click on that link, and enter my email address and click submit, nothing happens. I check my email account and refresh so that all folders are up to date, and there is no email from Dropbox with instructions for resetting my password nor in my spam folder.

Even when I click on the link that says “I can’t recover my account using this page” It instructs me to go to the sign in page and follow the steps I’ve just tried.

When I try to open a new Dropbox account using my email address it tells me this email already exists.

Kylie I am at a complete loss. I don’t know how to proceed and need the help of Dropbox Support Team to resolve this for me.

Regards,
    Rochelle

Kylie, Aug 24, 2020, 2:04 PM PDT:Hi Rochelle,

Thank you for reaching out to us about this issue you are experiencing.

As I understand it, you're having issues resetting your password for Dropbox Support on Zendesk.

Your login information for Dropbox Support is in no way linked to your login information for your Dropbox account. Therefore, I will be unable to assist with resetting that password and you will need to contact Zendesk Support.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with. 

Kind Regards,
    Kylie
    Rochelle Spencer, Aug 23, 2020, 4:46 PM PDT:

Morning Kylie.

I’ve received this message from Dropbox. The problem is that I cannot login to view the update from you as it tells me that my email is invalid.

Ticket #11232061: DB: Added to Dropbox Business - now problems

Hi,

This is an automated response to your Dropbox support request.

There’s an update on your support ticket from Kylie, the agent working with you on your support request.

You can view it by logging in to your customer portal at https://dropbox.com/support.

If we don’t hear from you in the next few days, your support request will be closed. You can reopen it at any time.

Thanks,
    Dropbox Support

Kylie, Aug 20, 2020, 3:14 PM PDT:Hi Rochelle,

I have contacted the Admin and will let you know of any updates. 

Thank you for your patience. 

Kind Regards,
    Kylie

Rochelle Spencer, Aug 19, 2020, 5:23 PM PDT:

Yes of course Kylie. Please do what you need to, to recover my personal Dropbox account. The admin for the Business Dropbox account is [email removed]

Many thanks.
    Rochelle

Kylie, Aug 19, 2020, 5:20 PM PDT:Hi Rochelle,

From my understanding, you want to recover your account from the team as a personal one. 

For that, I will need to contact the Admin. 

Please let me know if I have your approval on contacting the Admin for this. 

Kind Regards,
    KylieRochelle Spencer, Aug 18, 2020, 4:52 PM PDT:

Thanks Kylie for your email but I don’t think you quite understand the issue.

1. Yes the admin for the DB Business account (CRC Coolamon) intentionally removed me from that folder on my request.
    2. I do not want to be part of that folder because it had subsumed my own individual DB account into it.
    3. I want my own individual DB account enabled with all my work that resides in it.

Do you now understand the issue?

Thank you in advance.

Rochelle

Kylie, Aug 18, 2020, 4:10 PM PDT:Hi Rochelle,

When you were removed from your former team, your account was deleted by the admin of your Dropbox Business account as part of that process.

If you believe that this was a mistake and you would like to remain a member of your Dropbox Business team, you can reach out to your admin and request that they recover your account. Your admin can do this within seven days of removing your account from the team.

If your admin intentionally removed your account from the team, we can re-enable the account, but for security purposes I'll need the permission of your prior Dropbox Business admin before I can recover the account. To clarify, if successful, the recovered account will be a Dropbox Basic account.

I can reach out to your prior admin's email address, and as long as there are no objections, we can proceed with enabling the account. Please let me know if you would like me to do this and we can start the reactivation process.

Kind Regards,
    Kylie

Rochelle Spencer, Aug 17, 2020, 5:25 PM PDT:

Thank you Kylie for your email.

Since I have been removed from the CRC Coolamon Dropbox Business when I try to login to my individual Dropbox I receive a message that it is deleted. But when I try to create a new Dropbox I’m informed that an account already exists with my email.

My biggest concern is that I will lose all my content. The manager of the CRC Coolamon team converted my Dropbox following these instructions from the ‘help’ facility of Dropbox:https://help.dropbox.com/teams-admins/admin/convert-to-individual(%0bhttps:/help.dropbox.com/teams-admins/admin/convert-to-individual)

However, I can still see all of the Coolamon folders, and Iuckily, I can still access my Dropbox folder which appears to still be in the Coolamon folder.

It is utterly confusing, and as I said, I am very concerned about losing my documents.

Regards,

Rochelle

Kylie, Aug 17, 2020, 3:31 PM PDT:Hi Rochelle,

Thank you for contacting Dropbox Support. My name is Kylie, and I will be assisting you today.

From my understanding, you are having difficulty accessing your Dropbox account.

For security purposes, would you please reply to this message directly from your [email removed] email address? This will enable us to help further with your request.

Kind Regards,
    KylieRochelle Spencer, Aug 16, 2020, 7:20 PM PDT:

I was added to a DB Business folder and it subsumed my individual DB folder. I asked the team to extract my DB folder out of the Business team folder (called CRC Coolamon) in order to allow my individual DB folder to be separate. Now when I try to login online to my DB account it says that this account has been deleted. I cannot create a new DB account with my email as it tells me this email is already in use. Fortunately, I can see my individual account still located in the Coolamon DB folder even though we've extracted it.
    Please help urgently.
    Rochelle

Error String: This account is deleted. Contact your Dropbox admin for help:

• Could you confirm if the error log you posted is complete? YES it is complete

You now have all the information that I have. Please enable my individual DB folder so I can start using DB again and access all my documents. Rochelle

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Since you created a new Dropbox account with the same email address as before, I'm afraid there's no way of recovering the previous account. 

However, you mentioned that you still have the Dropbox folder on your computer. 

Are you able to access the files in question from your local Dropbox folder (even if the desktop app isn't running)? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?