cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is too intrusive for me

Dropbox is too intrusive for me

Steve N.11
New member | Level 1

Started using DB a few weeks ago to sync files between old and new phones. I was totally gobsmacked at the intrusive nature of the application. When you want to upload pictures from your camera roll it's all or nothing!! If you take any sort of picture it is automatically uploaded to the online storage (or the trendy new word CLOUD). OK I though, well there has to be a manual setting for normal people who don't wan't everything they do uploaded... but NO! You are literally forced into uploading all your pictures. This is compounded because a lot oof new phones are loaded with this intrusive software by default. I frankly think it should be made illegal, especially when kids have phones these days.

Does anyone know of a decent app that doesn't infringe my privacy like DB?

7 Replies 7

Re: Dropbox is too intrusive for me

Hanne M.
New member | Level 1

Hello Steve. I find that many applications are intrusive - name one that isn't - linkedin wants to know your outlook contacts, google wants to synchronise everything you have and do backups in the cloud, and with facebook it takes an hour to get acquainted with their privacy policy and you haven't got a clue (or I haven't) what default settings are

I am extremely fond of Dropbox and the flexibility it gives you. So I just say no to these general questions. And then upload any photo or file I like manually. Yours Hanne

Steve N.11
New member | Level 1

Just because they are intrusive does not mean that they should be, especially when you read that DB is an american company and as such the NSA etc have almost free access to all the information on it. Added to that is the fact that DB peep into your documents as well. When you look at it like this then everyone should have complete control of what is uploaded and not have it simply upload automatically from your camera. You can see how all the celebrities got caught out after all their phone pictures were hacked... on the ONLINE copy. TBH flexible is not a word I would use to describe DB - perhaps intrusive, invasive, inflexible would be more apt.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder, and going by what you have said no online service would suffice for your lofty standards.

I have Dropbox installed on my phone, and I have uploaded individual photos from it - it doesnt upload all my photos, so obviously its possible to avoid your main issue.

Its worth noting that the celebs photos were stolen because of weak passwords that were used, not because of a weakness in an online service.

Steve N.11
New member | Level 1

Hahaha so have a bit of privacy is a "lofty standard"? wow what a World we live in.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

If a "bit of privacy" was your overriding issue, you wouldn't be trusting any third party to do anything for you with your data without you encrypting it independently first.

If you don't encrypt your files independently of any service you use, then you essentially have no expectation of privacy. This is the same for Dropbox or any other service out there.

Scott M.32
New member | Level 1

Specifically signed up to add to this thread. Dropbox is intrusive. I log onto my PC and it muscles its way into centre screen until i minimise or close it (usually the latter). They should ask before doing these things, and I think that was OPs point.

lisa b.22
New member | Level 1

Why does Google say it would like to have so many permissions before you are able to sign in when in fact if you click "deny" it refuses to let you sign in? Having had all my contacts muddled up on my 'phone and arbitrarily sorted into categories, I am unwilling to let Google have any more influence over any online activity. The 'phone involved a factory reset to get rid of Googles unwanted and malign influence.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lisa b.22 New member | Level 1
    Scott M.32 New member | Level 1
    Richard P. Super User alumni
    Steve N.11 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?