cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Dropbox keeps saying 'can't sync, not enough free disk space'?

Helpful | Level 7

Reported this issue to Dropbox first time in Mar. 2017, later re-iterated it in Jan. 2018, I again faced the same problem, which means Dropbox failed to rectify the issue.
I had >400MB of space on 2nd drive, had >10GB of space on C drive. I wanted to sync a file of less than 10MB size, still Dropbox said, not enough space on drive.
This serious bug is still not resolved. Thanks. CR

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Would you mind sharing a screenshot @rajhanschinmay ? Do you have the needed quota to perform this action? What does your account's plan tab state? Do you have the needed space to accommodate the file on both locations? 

In any case, note that you can log a ticket with our team to let them know about this if you really think it's a bug. This way we'd be able to look into this with more account specific information and all of our tools available. 

Keep us posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

I doubt screenshots are of any use.

I have previuosly also shared the screenshots with the team.

There are 100s of users reporting this issue since a long time.

This is a known bug, but still technical team has failed to solve it.

10MB file needs more than 400MB to sync. Is this not a serious bug?

My Dropbox space is not full as it is perfectly sunced on one other machine. Till yesterday, both the computers were synced. Yesterday, I just downloaded two files of size 5MB each, later when I checked, Dropbox app started crying. 
I restarted Dropbox app, restarted computer, nothing seems to work.

Last time, I freed more than 1.5GB of space, is when Dropbox detected free space and synced 10MB file. This time, I can't delete so much of material for a known serious software bug of Dropbox app.

Thanks.

CR

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info CR ( @rajhanschinmay )- I appreciate your report here.

As I'd really need to have a more in-depth look into this, I've located your existing support ticket and replied to you there. Let's have a look into this internally where I'll be able to investigate this with all of my tools available.

Check your inbox for my email and we'll take it from there. Thank you in advance for your response!

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

@Mark I think you're being a little stubborn here and you are just trying to be right instead of helping him in the issue.

@rajhanschinmay I'm faced the same issue with 170gb of free space so I'm pretty sure you're onto something, at the same time, stop being so rude, it's not helping. I understand you're as frustrated as I am, but breath for a second, or try Box or Drive (which to my experience are way worst.).

@dropbox team Pointing your solution actually solved part of it, but the issue came back pretty rapidly, any update on the issue? Are you at least aware of what's going on? I ended up downloading the file from the web version, worked perfectly so please note that there is an issue.

Thx.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

For your info, I sent them screenshots they needed.
It took lot of time to just convience that their app is having this bug. Their reply made me post more and it appeared that way.
Yes, you are right, I had furstration and I appeared rude, because I expected from Dropbox. You are right, it was my mistake that I expected from Dropbox.
Thanks for pointing that out. In future, I will not make that mistake of expecting.
Congrats to Dropbox.
Thanks.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

@Mark wrote:
You have to remember though that to download that 20mb file it is going to take more space than 20mb while its processing - thats just how Dropbox works. It isnt a bug. Its by design.

I found this thread because I am seeing the same thing, and my responses from Dropbox is that I have to grab a screen capture of the error so they can fix it. If I tell you that I get a message that I am out of local space and dropbox has stopped syncing, just how many versions of that error can you possbly have? How can you not know your own error messages. What exactly is a picture of that error going to tell you? 

In my case, I have a 3 TB drive with a 1TB dropbox on it. The drive including the already synced dropbox has almost TWO TERABYTES of free space. Recently I added a new file of 245 mb to my dropbox, and started receiving the error that that my local drive was out of space. 

Ok Mark, while I will accept that Dropbox may cache some files and it needs more than 245 mb to sync that file, I am failry sure that it does not need 1.97 Terabytes that is free on my Dropbox drive. If it does, there is a serious problem with your software. 

As a test, I deleted 20 GB of stuff from the Dropbox, and the error went away.  Seriously, 20GB on a drive with 1.97 TB of free space was the problem? 

And to be clear, this was not that my Dropbox was full, but that my local Dropbox was out of space to sync. And it stopped syncing because if it. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

7.5 GB's of free space here and still getting the message! Wowzer, quite a bug there.

Restarting Dropbox each time the error message appears may help; I also did clear the Dropbox cache.

This issue has nothing to do with space on the person's computer, or in the Dropbox folder, it is fully a Dropbox program bug as one can clearly see from the numerous posts describing the same issue.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the report @BoxOfRain - could you share a screenshot of where you spotted this discrepancy so we can have a visual as well?

Walter

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

@Walter wrote:

Would you mind sharing a screenshot @rajhanschinmay ? Do you have the needed quota to perform this action? What does your account's plan tab state? Do you have the needed space to accommodate the file on both locations? 

Seriously Walter, did not you bother to read the thread above, especially my comment before asking that question?  Unbelievable.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?