cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox keeps saying it is "upgrading" when I didn't ask it to upgrade

Dropbox keeps saying it is "upgrading" when I didn't ask it to upgrade

jcavelos
Explorer | Level 4

A few days ago, I had Dell tech support help me with some Outlook problems by creating a new account on my computer and moving everything there.  Dropbox seemed to be working fine, but a few hours later, the Dropbox icon in my system tray on the lower right of the screen started to say it was "Dropbox 21.4.25 upgrading Dropbox."  I have exited out of Dropbox multiple times and then reopened but after a moment or two of being "up to date," it returns to "upgrading." 

How can I stop this?  I never asked for an upgrade and don't want one.  Otherwise, Dropbox seems to be working.

Another factor that may be relevant is that I received a message a month ago that my bonus 48 GB from purchasing a Samsung phone would expire in May.  But I'm not storing that much in Dropbox, so it should be no problem when the extra space expires.  The timing of the problem suggests it is related to the Dell tech support action, not to the Samsung offer.

I have a Windows 10 desktop, just 3 months old.  Please help!

Jeanne

6 Replies 6

Re: Dropbox keeps saying it is "upgrading" when I didn't ask it to upgrade

Mark
Super User II

I'm afraid you cannot stop Dropbox autoupdating. www.dropbox.com/help/9182 shows you the info on this (and its also displayed via the notification section of the app).

Note that the updating of your quota wont impact upon this.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

jcavelos
Explorer | Level 4

It does not say it's UPDATING.  It says it's UPGRADING.  Does Dropbox use these two terms interchangeably?

Jeanne

Rich
Super User II
It's the same thing. And Mark is correct; the Dropbox software will upgrade itself as new releases are pushed out. There's no way to prevent this.

Also, out of curiosity, how did you contact Dropbox Support for your Outlook issue?

jcavelos
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks very much for the responses.  I thought I'd post what ended up solving my problem in case it helps anyone else.  My computer seemed to be stuck on upgrading.  It told me it was "upgrading" for about a week.  I went back to Dell tech support (which is the place where I got help with my Outlook) and they closed my Dropbox and reinstalled Dropbox.  It reinstalled with the upgraded version (23.4.17, when I was previously on 21.4.25) and now seems to be fine and says "up to date" (fingers crossed).  When I asked why it had gotten stuck upgrading, the tech support woman said she didn't know.  She said those sort of Dropbox problems happen a lot.  I never had a problem like this before.

Jeanne

Mark
Super User II
I've not had it happen often, but, find a quick download and reinstall from www.dropbox.com/downloading often helps 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
Ah, Dell Support. I read that as Dropbox Support. oops 🙂
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Mark Super User II
    jcavelos Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?