cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox on desktop associated with email I no longer have

Dropbox on desktop associated with email I no longer have

CoastalClover
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, a while back I had a dropbox trial, and possible a subscription that is now expired. I didn't realize that I set it up for downloads on my desktop to immediately go to. 

The email I had associated with the trial is one that I no longer have access it and unfortunately for whatever reason I didn't save the password to my password manager. I've been logged into it, and today needed to access another dropbox account of mine and realized I can't get back into the previous one.

My files are still accessible on my computer, but I am getting multiple synch error messages. What is the best way to deal with this? Start a new drop box and resave everything in it? or is there a way to recover the old and change the email? Normally I would reset password, but since I don't have access to that email anymore, that won't work. I wasn't sure which area to post this, so if it is better in another place please let me know.

Thank you so much!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @CoastalClover 

As long as you have everything stored locally on your device (i.e. nothing SmartSync'd and nothing in Selective Sync etc.) you should be able to do this easily. 

For safety what I'd suggest is:

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@CoastalClover wrote:

What is the best way to deal with this? Start a new drop box and resave everything in it?

Yes, you'll need to start a new account. If you're no longer signed in, can't remember the password and no longer have access to the email address, then there's no way to gain access to the account again.

CoastalClover
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for the super quick and helpful reply. When I add the new dropbox account, will I need to go and save every file individually to it, or is there a way to synch it up automatically?  As you can tell, I'm not a dropbox super user. 🙂 I am on a Mac running Monterrey if that makes a difference. I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing so I don't go in and accidentally delete something important.

Thank you again!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @CoastalClover 

As long as you have everything stored locally on your device (i.e. nothing SmartSync'd and nothing in Selective Sync etc.) you should be able to do this easily. 

For safety what I'd suggest is:

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    CoastalClover New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?