cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox says my storage is full, but it is not

Dropbox says my storage is full, but it is not

jtrom23324
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've seen the other forums on this, but I still can't figure out what the problem is. My files are well under my limit, and yet storage is still full. I do not have any backups turned on, and I can't figure out a way to see what is actually eating up storage. Why has dropbox made it impossible to see what is eating up storage so I can delete it? Please help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jtrom23324
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I think I may have figured it out. I got a new iMac, and when I setup drop box, I used Backup. After realizing I didn't have the space, I deleted backup, but for some reason it was keeping some files it had backed up. I found them accidentally when I was in the mobile app. I searched for a folder of audiobooks that I had on my desktop and deleted them. It's strange that we can't see everything eating up storage space. The only way I could see that I had something eating storage was by removing EVERY file out of dropbox and seeing how much space was being used. It said 2.6GB out of 5.75GB, but NO indication or ability to see what it was or where it was. When I searched "backup," there was a file. I deleted it, and I seem to have solved it. The confusing thing for me is that the info tab under "dropbox backup" didn't show anything and said "0 bytes," and yet dropbox was keeping it somewhere. I'm glad I stumbled on it, or I'm not sure I would have found it. Is there a way to see every file eating storage, along with the ability to remove or delete it? 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @jtrom23324, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Is it possible that you have a backup on this page running on your account?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jtrom23324
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

There is no backup running on that page. When I removed everything from dropbox, it still said I had 2.6GB of something somewhere, but I have no idea where to find that. 

jtrom23324
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 11.53.40 AM.png

 

jtrom23324
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I think I may have figured it out. I got a new iMac, and when I setup drop box, I used Backup. After realizing I didn't have the space, I deleted backup, but for some reason it was keeping some files it had backed up. I found them accidentally when I was in the mobile app. I searched for a folder of audiobooks that I had on my desktop and deleted them. It's strange that we can't see everything eating up storage space. The only way I could see that I had something eating storage was by removing EVERY file out of dropbox and seeing how much space was being used. It said 2.6GB out of 5.75GB, but NO indication or ability to see what it was or where it was. When I searched "backup," there was a file. I deleted it, and I seem to have solved it. The confusing thing for me is that the info tab under "dropbox backup" didn't show anything and said "0 bytes," and yet dropbox was keeping it somewhere. I'm glad I stumbled on it, or I'm not sure I would have found it. Is there a way to see every file eating storage, along with the ability to remove or delete it? 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

For normal files in your Dropbox folder, they would appear on the main page, and for any backups, they should appear here.

Depending on your machine, the backups could appear under these direct links, for PC, and for a Mac device.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Quigon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you so much @jtrom23324!

That was the thing here, too.

My DB had started to save an external HD - however, whyever, without my confirmation.
But nothing showed on DB on my Mac or online.
Just because I remembered that it had started to back up the HD, I had stopped it & remembered the name of the HD I could delete this file - & DB told me this file wouldn't exist...

Thank you again for stumbling. 😉😂

jtrom23324
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@quigon

I'm glad it helped!

shaikpkd
New member | Level 2

Goto this link dropbox.com/backup/all find for hidden files and delte all backup files

Ray1943
New member | Level 2

I am about to start on a new work project. I have been sent access to a shared Dropbox folder. I have nothing in my own Dropbox folder (old files deleted and removed). So why does Dropbox say I am out of space?  I do wish there was someone at Dropbox who could answer this. 

Need more support?