cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox accounts & billing

Make your Dropbox account work for you, with the help of Community users like you. Join in or start a discussion of your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox storage on wrong account

Dropbox storage on wrong account

ricketstar
Explorer | Level 4

I installed dropbox to redeem 100gb for 1 year. The app did NOT ask me to log in and instead used an account I was logged into on my browser, which is a company account. I cannot use this account.

I need the storage removed from the other account and switched to mine.

I am not happy that I was not asked to confirm in the app. That is just plain ridiculous to not have me log in on my computer and just assume my browser settings. I thought I was logged out of the account and I consider this an error on Dropbox's part for not checking.

My personal computer got attached to a company account as a result.

Worse yet, I signed out and in to the correct account and tried to reinstall and it did not auto log me in the second time.

Please fix.

5 Replies 5

Re: Dropbox storage on wrong account

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @ricketstar,

Once Dropbox application got link to particular account, it doesn't follow browser log in/out anymore. If you want relink to different account, once logged in your browser the desired account, unlink the application from currently associated account (Preferences -> Account tab -> Unlink).

Hope this helps.

ricketstar
Explorer | Level 4

This was a brand new computer never linked to any account and never having had the Dropbox app.

I did log out and logged in but my storage got linked to the wrong account despite me never logging in on my desktop app.

I know I need help from Dropbox customer service but the site doesn't let you talk to a person, only post here.

This issue was not my fault and I need customer service to step in. I did not accept linking to the wrong account nor did I log into the wrong account. The app assumed settings and that is wrong when you are talking about 100 gb of space.

Rich
Super User II

@ricketstar wrote:

I know I need help from Dropbox customer service but the site doesn't let you talk to a person, only post here.

You're likely out of luck. Once bonus space has been awarded, it cannot be transferred to another account. You can try contacting Dropbox directly, but if you're on a Basic account, and it sounds like you are, your support options are limited to self-help or posting in this forum.

ricketstar
Explorer | Level 4

Well that's a really terrible way to treat someone. I'm not good enough because I have a basic account despite paying over $700 for the laptop that came with the space. And it was the application's error. Not mine.

ricketstar
Explorer | Level 4
So no one from Dropbox monitors these forums and will help? This is basically the worst service ever. Dont they want basically users to upgrade?

I hate that I didn't even get the opportunity to use something of mine. The worst part is I was only signed in on my browser because I'd done some charity work and needed to upload it.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ricketstar Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?